Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Listen As Long As It Takes For God To Speak

Judges 21:23 - The people went to Bethel, where they sat before God until evening, raising their voices and weeping bitterly. “Lord, God of Israel,” they cried, “why has this happened to Israel? Why should one tribe be missing from Israel today?”

The chapter of judges ends with a story of bittersweet solutions. The 11 tribes who had had been so harsh on the tribe of Benjamin…fretted because the vow they made to not give their daughters in marriage….set up the distinction of one of the 12 tribes. Instead of just asking God to forgive them for their unthought out vow…they created even more drama…. that led to the killing of more of their people and the kidnapping of some of their daughters.

The biggest reason for their problem was their own failure to let God be in control of their life. Sure…they gathered at the temple to seek his guidance….but they still did whatever they thought was best. Nowhere in this story does it say ... “and God told them to.” I was convicted of my own guilt as soon as I wrote the words. Just because I ask God what to do…doesn’t mean I always waited to follow his advice before going out to solve the problem.

Psalm 27:14 says… “Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.”   Psalm 46:10 says, “Cease striving and know that I am God.” These two verses together remind me not to be in a hurry to solve the problems in my life.  Whether they be made by my own bad choices…or just happen because God allows a little hardship into my daily struggle…I need to wait on him to tell me how to handle it…and not step out ahead of him in human impatience and pride.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you know and have a plan for every struggle that you allow in my life. Forgive me for the many times that I have stepped ahead of you…or forgotten that your plan is not always what I would think of for myself. Help me to remember that when I come to you for advice…I need to listen as long as it takes for you to speak your wisdom into my heart and mind.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment