Thursday, December 1, 2016

God Has The Power We Need To Renew Our Heaviest Spirits

Judges 15:19 - Then God opened up the hollow place in Lehi, and water came out of it. When Samson drank, his strength returned and he revived. So the spring was called En Hakkore, and it is still there in Lehi.

God had used the grief and frustration of Sampson to fuel his desire to destroy the Philistines. He had used foxes…torches tied into their tails…to destroy some of their land…and the jawbone of a donkey to fight and kill 1000 more of the Philistine army. The experience was so exhausting that he cried out to God in exhaustion and thirst. God heard his cry and opened up a hollow and delivered the water he needed so that his spirit could revive and renew to continue God’s will for his life…hard as it must have been for him.

I needed the great reminder this morning as my mind tries to process a myriad of emotions from the devastating wildfires that destroyed much of my county…that God is the one who can sustain us and revive us when life beats us down. I was spared damage…but as the sun rises each day and rescue teams are able to get into the worst areas….new reports of damage…injuries… and death are brought to light. I am sure that many of us have cried out to God in the last few days…I know my personal prayer Monday night was simply for rain.

As the rain fell all day Wednesday…my spirit would fill with a new sense of comfort from the loss around me.  I was able to pray with many at our church food ministry…one who had lost her job because the business she worked at burned completely. I even used some of my time to heat up chili to serve to the National Guardsmen who have come to aid the many firefighters…police…and other emergency crews working around the clock. But it was the music from practicing our church’s living Christmas tree production scheduled for Sunday night and Monday night that lifted my spirts the most.

As I read this scripture last night ...it was clear that God was slowly answering the cries of all of us that are hurting from this tragedy. He is opening a hollow within each heart of this town that loves him….and pouring out his pure love to the ones that are hurting the most. He will revive every spirit that is downtrodden.  He will lift us up like eagles to rebuild…to care of others….to use the resources he has already planted in this area…deepening our relationships with each other and with him.


Thank you father for the reminder that you are our source of help and strength. Forgive me for the times that I have taken for granted you great care and kept your love all to myself.  Help me to listen closely to you so I will know exactly how to share your love with others as our town rebuilds.  Reveal to me all theways I can help others that are hurting so much.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment