Friday, October 28, 2016

Stop...Pause..And Listen To God's Solution To Confrontation

Judges 8:1-3 - Now the Ephraimites asked Gideon, “Why have you treated us like this? Why didn’t you call us when you went to fight Midian?” And they challenged him vigorously.  But he answered them, “What have I accomplished compared to you? Aren’t the gleanings of Ephraim’s grapes better than the full grape harvest of Abiezer?  God gave Oreb and Zeeb, the Midianite leaders, into your hands. What was I able to do compared to you?” At this, their resentment against him subsided.

The tribe of Ephraim was upset with Gideon for his failure to ask them to help him fight.  Their argument was on based on jealously…..they didn’t really care about the victory…just that they would not receive any of the glory from it.  Gideon carefully worded his reply to them in a compliment of what they accomplished on a daily basis.  He turned what could have been a huge argument into a peaceful discussion of their many talents,

It is a great reminder to me that our response to confrontation could bring peace…if we use Gideon’s approach. Gideon had not been instructed by God to rebuke their attitudes… so he simply didn’t engage in the posed argument.  Someone in his upbringing had taught him to strive for a simple peaceful solution when confronted with opposition… helping him think of the positives to fuel his answer.

It reminds me also of the way Jesus treated the lady caught in adultery the leaders of Israel brought to him.  They were not interested in the soul of that woman...they were using her to trap Jesus. He knew the perfect way to diffuse the angry crowd they managed to create around her….he quietly wrote in the sand ….perhaps just to pause the crowd and get their attention. Then he told them that the one among them that was sinless could throw the first stone. I would have been one of the ones walking away from that scene…..in deep reflection of all my own sin.

It seems like it would be easier to stop and pause…listening for God’s answer to the confrontation.... instead of letting the situation dictate my response. I don’t have to have paper …or pen.  I just need a heart that is ready to listen and let God tell me what to do.


Father…thank you for the reminder to work toward peace in this sinful world. Forgive me for the times that I have escalated an argument with my own prideful thoughts.  Help me to always stop and pause….and let you form a peaceful answer in my heart.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment