Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Guard Your heart Against Pride And Envy

Judges 12:1-3 - The Ephraimite forces were called out, and they crossed over to Zaphon. They said to Jephthah, “Why did you go to fight the Ammonites without calling us to go with you? We’re going to burn down your house over your head.” Jephthah answered, “I and my people were engaged in a great struggle with the Ammonites, and although I called, you didn’t save me out of their hands.

The men of Ephraim told Jephthah that they were upset with him for not calling them to help him fight the Ammonites.  Although what they really were upset about was the fact that Jephthah had been handed a glorious victory…which they would receive no credit for. They were so eaten up by envy and pride that they threatened to burn his house down.

Jephthah was protected by God as they crossed the Jordan to hurt him... being given the support of the Gealeadites …who knew the dialect limitations of the Ephraimites. They killed each one that tried to cross and cause Jephthah harm… so he could continue as judge for the Israelites for 6 years.

It is a great reminder to me of how important it is to guard your heart and mind from self-driven pride and envy. They creep into your heart and puff up your mind to believe that it is better than others…that it deserves more than it is given…that life is more about satisfying selfish needs instead of walking in God’s pure and perfect will.

God teaches the opposite…that humility leads to a deeper understanding of what God created us as creatures in his likeness. Humility teaches our heat and mind that the less we think of our own worth… the more God can use us to further his kingdom. Paul says it better than I in 2 Corinthians 12:9.. “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.” Paul using the very worlds of Christ… who defeated satan and claimed victory over death.

I admit that pride is one of the hardest things to conquer in an earthly life. I have struggled with it for my entire 58 years.  The world…the time God even allows us to live in…the sinful nature of man naturally gravitates to puff themselves up…to collect things…..to think that the more we have the more blessed we are. I needed a new reminder to rely on God for everything…and give him credit for everything…so he can begin to instill in me his love that is totally driven by giving to others.


Father…thank you for the reminder that pride and envy are not part of your plan for me.  Forgive me for the times that I have allowed the world….the situation I am in…or the people around me to trick me into thinking better of myself than I deserve.  Help me to constantly fight against any form of pride and envy from setting up even a temporary residence in my heart.  Help me to stay so focused and centered on you that I hear your will before the world has a chance to whisper any other options in my ear.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment