Friday, November 25, 2016

Let Thanksgiving Occur Every Day...Every Moment

Judges 13:18-20 - He replied, “Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding.” Then Manoah took a young goat, together with the grain offering, and sacrificed it on a rock to the Lord. And the Lord did an amazing thing while Manoah and his wife watched:  As the flame blazed up from the altar toward heaven, the angel of the Lord ascended in the flame. Seeing this, Manoah and his wife fell with their faces to the ground.

This story in Judges is just one example of God’s ability to do supernatural things.  This couple…who were barren for whatever reason…was first blessed with a visit from an angel.  God was blessing them with their hearts desire…but they needed to prepare him from conception to be one of God’s special servants. This child would grow up a Nazarite….a person consecrated to God for special service.  They abstained from drinking alcohol in any form…ever cutting their hair…and avoiding situations that might defile their holiness…like being around dead things.

This supernatural visit ended with a rare sight.  This man...who appeared to give them the news…wasn’t any ordinary man.  They got to watch him rise to heaven within the flame of the burnt offering they offered… to thank God for his great gift. They were so full of gratitude…praise and so overcome with humility that they fell to their knees at the sight.

I can’t say that I have ever experienced such a sight…or felt the deep gratitude that they did. I needed the reminder that God’s good gifts should bring us to our knees occasionally in humble adoration and thankfulness. I am so guilty of taking all that God has done for me for granted…allowing a simple whispering of praise suffice …justifying my weak praise with earthly excuses that must disappoint God very much.

We took the time yesterday to celebrate a day  called Thanksgiving….but as the sun rises on what is traditionally black Friday…people have already let the world trap them in the commercial season of Christmas. Decorations have donned the isles of stores since early October…but today will set new records of spending all over the world. I for one have never liked fighting the crowd to shop on this day….I choose to change out my fall decorations and put up my Christmas tree instead.

This story reminds me to take more moments out of my day to thank God for all I already have…to extend my Thanksgiving of turkey…family fellowship…and extra thoughts of praise for the God who allows it …into a full year of praise for what he has done.  Perhaps I will get to witness one of his rare supernatural events…and feel the fullness of heart that these two parents felt with their precious gift of life.

Father…thank you for the reminder that you deserve our praise and thanksgiving every day….every moment.  Forgive me for the times that I have allowed the world to trap me in its mad cycle of wants and spending on things that do not last. Help me to fill my heart with thoughts of you….with your word…with service in your kingdom…so more people can join me when we all rise to meet you in heaven someday.  Bring me to my knees more often…and teach me how to show the deepest gratitude and praise these two parents showed for the promise of a child in their life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment