Thursday, June 9, 2016

Seek God EVERY Morning And Evening

Numbers 28:1-4 -  The Lord said to Moses,  “Give this command to the Israelites and say to them: ‘Make sure that you present to me at the appointed time my food offerings, as an aroma pleasing to me.’  Say to them: ‘This is the food offering you are to present to the Lord: two lambs a year old without defect, as a regular burnt offering each day.  Offer one lamb in the morning and the other at twilight…

One of Moses last tasks as the leader of God’s people…was to remind them of the many times they needed to honor God with offerings and sacrifices.  The very first one a reminder that a daily offering…one in the morning…and one in the evening. Many others were also on the list…the Sabbath…a monthly offering…the yearly Passover celebration….and the several feasts throughout the year.

Jesus may have changed the requirements for these sacrifices…but he did not change the importance of spending time with God on a regular basis.  He still wants us to wake each morning with words of praise and thankfulness.  He still wants us to share our day with him as we lay down to rest. He wants us to visit and worship with him once every week…even if we don’t call that day a Sabbath anymore.  He still wants us to celebrate the harvest…and the spring renewals of our earth…and occasionally remember the things he brought us through to share his love every day. 

I needed the reminder not to let my time with God every evening and morning become routine…or begin to make excuses…put off couple of nights… sleep in and not have time to meditate and digest what I read. Since god also gave me the task of writing my thoughts each morning in the blog…I also run the risk of doing it for the wrong reasons…or letting my time with him become more about the writing than the listening.

The psalmist said it best in several verses.  First in Psalms 5:3 he said… “In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly. Then in Psalms 63:6 he said… “On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.” And in in Psalms 143:8 … “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. Or perhaps Lamentations 3:22-23 says it best… “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”


Father…thank you for your unfailing love every morning…and your comfort and peace each evening. Forgive me for the times that I have taken your presence in my life for granted….failing to seek you EVERY morning and evening.  Help me to renew a passion within my heart to seek you more and more each day…to thank you…to praise you…to seek your will…and to petition you for the needs of others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment