Friday, June 10, 2016

Stop And Thank God...Daily...Weekly...Monthly

Numbers 29:1-2 -   “On the first day of the seventh month hold a sacred assembly and do no regular work. It is a day for you to sound the trumpets.”

Moses concluded God’s specific directions for each festival and celebration with the requirements for the 7th month.  Our September…was a month full of sacred assemblies and sacrifices…continuing into the 8th day of the month. Trumpets were sounded….this time in celebration of God’s great strength and mercy on these stubborn people.

This celebration stopped work…and began an additional series of offerings that rivaled no other time of the year. By the time the celebration was over the number of lambs and rams was double the number offered at the Passover and feast of Pentecost, the number of oxen was fivefold; for, instead of fourteen… there were seventy offered during the week.

As I read…and think on what must have been a wonderful time of fellowship and rest…I have nothing to compare it to in present day.  Perhaps Easter…or Christmas…or even Thanksgiving might give it a run for its money…but even those holidays don’t cause us to stop work…and spend the next 8 days celebrating what God has done to deliver us.

Perhaps …because the need to sacrifice animals was done away with when Jesus gave his life as the last blood sacrifice ever needed… we don’t need these specific routines that offer up atonement and celebrate God’s care in our life. But I don’t believe for a moment that I do not need to stop on a regular basis and thank God for all that he has provided for me throughout my life as much as I can. We save for a yearly vacation to rest and get away from our busy lives…but when was the last time we saved to spend a few days in retreat just with God?


Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to stop and thank you for the many blessings and mercies you have shown to me throughout my life. Forgive me for the times that I have taken your care and love for granted. Help me to stop…really stop… daily…weekly…monthly…and occasionally go away to spend a few days in a row just with you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment