Thursday, June 30, 2016

Conquer Your Giants With God's Help

Deuteronomy 3:10-11 - We took all the towns on the plateau, and all Gilead, and all Bashan as far as Salekah and Edrei, towns of Og’s kingdom in Bashan.(Og king of Bashan was the last of the Rephaites. His bed was decorated with iron and was more than nine cubits long and four cubits wide. It is still in Rabbah of the Ammonites.)

Moses made sure to include in the last portion of the story of their journey…the victory God had given them over the giants that lived east of the Jordan River. They were so large their beds were around 14 feet long and 6 feet wide. God delivered all of the towns of this king to the Israelites.

It started me thinking about the giants in my own life…and whether I have allowed God to give me victory over them. One huge win for God was my education.  He took a girl with horrible ACT scores…graduated her from college…even allowed her to get a master’s and above degree so she could teach for 34 years.  He gave me victory over the guilt and pain divorce causes.  He is working on delivering me from the continued pain and grief that comes from losing a loved one.

I am no expert…but love the 4 part battle plan Joyce Meyers gleaned from 1 Samuel 17…the story of how young David conquered Goliath.  First…we must ignore criticism.  Then we need to remember all the victories God has given us from the past. Third…speak God’s word over our giant. And after God has given us our victory we need to make sure to glorify him...even thank him and give him all the credit.

I have let my most recent giant kick my butt as of late…and as usual needed this reminder. I don’t have to lose ground in my battle against grief…I can defeat it entirely with God’s help. I can receive that joy that comes in the morning that David talked about in Psalm 30. That joy will eventually replace my grief with the peace that passes all understanding talked about in Philippians 4.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you can help e conquer any giant that I may have to face in this earthly home.  Forgive me for the times that I allow them to hold me back and keep me in sadness.  Help me to claim Philippians 4:7…And feel the sweet peace of God, which passeth all understanding,  keeping my heart and mind free of any thought of failure… through Christ Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment