Friday, July 1, 2016

Show God's Wisdom And Understanding To The World

Deuteronomy 4:6-7 -  Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, “Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.”  What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him? 

Moses had much to say to these people he loved so much. He had just finished telling them the full recount of their journey… so their past would give them power to always move forward. Now he begins to tell them some important reasons they needed to always revere the laws God had given them as well.

He gives them many reasons to revere God’s laws…but as I read these verses I was reminded that everything I do and say it heard and seen by others. As a widower…who lives alone…I sometimes forget this fact.  This week however…has been one of those rare times when a young preteen granddaughter has lived with me.

She has seen a mixture of my good and bad traits. I got a little too angry at a manger who did not handle my phone issues to my liking…her presence in the car after reminded me that I needed to quickly find a Bible verse to claim so my day did not ‘domino effect’ into worse anger at everything else that might go wrong that day.

I also modeled some good stuff for her too.  We washed clothes for a group of students who are staying in our town for the summer…working and going to evangelist classes.  We made quilts for foster care children as a part of a sewing ministry at my church.  She helped me serve at church dinner….and went to Sunday school and church with me too.

It makes me proud that my good character traits seem to outweigh the negative as I think back on my week.  Perhaps that is the usual way that others see me as well…but it sure couldn’t hurt to take Moses advice and make sure that I try to use those ten commands to keep God mirrored in my life to others.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to use your commands to build wisdom and understanding in who you are. Forgive me for the times that I show the world anger…negativity….and complacency.  Help me to grow in understanding and wisdom by keeping your commands in all that I do…so others see you as who you really are…not the twisted version that my imperfect walk with you sometimes shows.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment