Friday, July 8, 2016

Spend Time With God...No Matter What

Deuteronomy 8:11–14 -  Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 

Moses knew that one of the dangers of this wonderful new land God was leading them into…was that it would provide for them so many good things…pride might creep into their heart and plant seeds of forgetfulness of what God had brought them through.  Moses was warning them never to forget God…the one who gave them the season of plenty in the first place.

Moses was not the only man of God to give this important advice. Isaiah 26:3… tells us … “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusted in thee. Proverbs 3:6…tells us…In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Jesus even reminded us of the gift of the Holy Spirit when he ascended to heaven to prepare it for those who believe in him.  He said in John 14:26-27… “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you. Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid.

It’s no secret how to keep God the focus of your life…so the things of the world do not take his place.  You must spend part of each day with him.  Just as God came to visit with Adam and Eve each day in the garden…he longs to send time with you.  Reading his word…praying…listening to encouraging music…taking time to just be still and quiet and let him speak to you. Gathering with other believers for ministry or worship builds your faith and fortifies any gaps you may have in what God in building in your heart. The moment you allow life and its craziness to keep you from God…satan will find one of those gaps…and sneak in for sure…planting some seed of pride…or doubt…or bitterness…or hypocrisy.

I recently took a trip north to KY to see my son. I jumped at the chance to spend time with him fishing…even though I was not dressed properly for the tall grass and mosquitoes that would surely attack me while we lazily stood on the bank of a pond and fished.  I could feel each of the bites …and swatted at each one…but it was futile. I was mauled by mosquitoes…and mostly chiggers…my legs still itch a week later…red marks still very visible.  I was staying to spend time with him...no matter what…but I think I will keep a pair of long pants and a pair of old boots in the car from now on.

I needed the reminder to never let any activity…or busy schedule dictate what time I spend with God.  I need to protect and keep my date with God each morning…getting up earlier than I want if needed…staying up later than I wanted so God can be the last person I talk to each night. If God is the most important thing in my life…I will find the time to vist with him…and seek his will for my life…no matter what.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you are my reason for life.  Forgive me for the many times I let life keep me from spending time with you. Help me to claim new verses in the Bible each day that can give me strength to fill any gaps satan might have found in my faith…so I can send him packing like Jesus did in the wilderness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment