Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Love More Abundantly

Deuteronomy 18:9-11 - When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there.  Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.

Moses had so much to pour into these people before they left him to enter the Promised Land. They needed so many reminders to never stray from God’s ways. Moses knew as they took over the land…they would be tempted to take on many of the pagan ways they encountered. God was not allowing any of the people who already lived there to remain because they worshiped gods other than him.

Jesus changed the rules when he came to die for our sins on the cross. All men are now allowed to live and make their own choices.  The death penalty for any sin paid in full if we believe. We are not to destroy anyone for what they believe anymore…but share the truth in love so they can share in the inheritance God is giving all of us when we pass from this earthly home into heaven. 

I needed the reminder to make sure that I never endorse any of the practices in this list Moses gave them. All of these things exist in the world I have been placed….some I see more than others practiced regularly.  These people…who think that these ways will give them any power…or lasting peace… need so much more than our condemnation.  They need our love…for us to love them…despite the things they have sought to help them in the earthly time we are given. 

 That’s what Jesus taught us in John 10:10.  He said…The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” We need to find more ways to defeat  satan’s power over these false ways to find success…and show God’s full love to these people who have been tricked by so many of these pagan ways.

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am called to love all people….all parts of who they are.   Forgive me for the times that I have forgotten that the love I could show them might be all the love they ever see. Help me to listen to you so closely…so you can teach me how I can love others more abundantly.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment