Saturday, July 16, 2016

Give To Others...As Gods Shows Us Opportunities

Deuteronomy 15: 7-8 - If anyone is poor among your fellow Israelites in any of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward them.  Rather, be openhanded and freely lend them whatever they need. 

Moses had much to say about debt and debtors. God had given them a way to prevent anyone from being burdened forever with a large debt. They were to forgive any debtors after 7 years….and not consider how close they were to the 7th year mark when they gave to each other.  This way the poor would always be taken care of within their camps.  More important in this message is the mandate to be completely compassionate and generous toward anyone who was in need.

This is one command of God that was not dissolved when Jesus came to fulfill the law. Galatians 6 starts out with the same thoughts...and the summary verse 10 says… “ Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”  Jesus even modeled for us how to do this…healing….feeding the thousands that came to hear him teach…and ultimately giving his life to  redeem all of us from the death sin demands.

I needed the reminder that giving to others should be a very important part of who I show to the world. I need to listen very carefully to who and where God wants me to use the resources he has placed in my hands. My giving should be willing…even passionate…with no thoughts of when I will receive it back…or what blessing I may receive because I was obedient.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I am called to give to others. Forgive me for the times that I have not been generous or held back my resources from doubt or fear that I would not get anything back. Help me to listen to your still small voice inside my heart…so I can hear clearly the ones you need me to help.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment