Monday, July 25, 2016

Jesus Paid It All...All To Him I Owe

Deuteronomy 21:3-4 -  Then the elders of the town nearest the body shall take a heifer that has never been worked and has never worn a yoke and lead it down to a valley that has not been plowed or planted and where there is a flowing stream. There in the valley they are to break the heifer’s neck. 

Deuteronomy 21 contains many miscellaneous rules for dealing with the rarer occurrences the Israelites might have encountered. From who offers the sacrifice for a man slain with no apparent person to pin in on…to how to take as a wife a captive form the many battles they would fight.

My first thought was what in the world would God be telling me to work on from these passages.  Then it hit me. Someone had to make atonement for every sin that was committed. The elders of the nearest town must find an unworked heifer…and take it to an unplowed valley…and offer it up to God to atone for the sin that was committed…even when no one could be blamed for the sin.

Jesus came to fulfill this concept…and offered up his life as an atonement for all sins. No death penalty would ever be more sacrificial. No death would ever be required again …for any sin …after his selfless act of love.

What a great reminder of the price paid for my freedom. I am so guilty of taking the gift of atonement Jesus gave me for granted.  I needed a reminder to thank him today for my life…and the lives of all my Christian family that believe.


Thank you father for the gift of love you gave to the world in your son. Forgive me for all the days I have forgotten to thank you. Help me to find new ways to pay forward his gift …so that more people will come to know his love ...and receive this wonderful gift of atonement for sin.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment