Friday, July 15, 2016

Tithing...Should Be A True Measure Of Your Love Of God

Deuteronomy 14:22-23 - Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always.

Moses spends this chapter discussing the matter of clean and unclean foods…and finishes up with the importance of tithing. We could discuss the food issue for an eternity… even the most avid Bible scholars disagree on this point.  But everyone agrees on the importance of tithing.

Moses reminds us the measure should be at least 10%....but Jesus gave us a deeper understanding of this practice in Luke 21. He watched some rich people give what was probably a very mathematic 10% calculation of their tithe…and a poor widow that gave everything she had as a tithe. He was certainly more touched by that widow.

I am guilty …as usual…of worrying too much about the calculation of my gift…or of paying bills and buying what I want and giving to God out of the leftovers.  The Bible is clear…it says “first fruits.” Exodus 23:19 even says… “The best of the firstfruits of your ground you shall bring into the house of the Lord your God.”

I needed the reminder that everything thing God has placed in my hands is really his.  I need to rethink this tithe thing…and make it more of a priority in my heart.  I will add that it is very comforting to know  that God loves my meager tithe…even less since retirement….even more than some of the biggest tithes that go in those offering envelopes. I just need to be double sure that my heart is right when I place that amount in the offering plate.


Father…thank you for the reminder that tithing is an important measure of my love for you.  Forgive me for the times when I have skipped the opportunity to give and support your church.  Help me to renew my passion to allow you to decide how the resources you place in my hands are used. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment