Sunday, July 10, 2016

Circumcise Your Heart

Deuteronomy 10:16-17   and 20-21  -  Circumcise your hearts, therefore, and do not be stiff-necked any longer.  For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. 
…..  Fear the Lord your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name. He is the one you praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes.

Moses speech to the Israelites before they crossed over the Jordan to possess the new land God had promised was quite lengthy. Spanning several chapters…it repeats much of what Moses has already told them. He may not get to go with the physically…but he will leave with them what he hopes will be the words of encouragement and strength to sustain them when they leave him.

He told them that they would need to circumcise their hearts if they were to leave their stubborn….’stiff-necked’ tendencies on this side of the Jordan. He told them that serving God…holding fast to Him would be their only hope of survival in this new land. We will hear these words again in Deuteronomy 30…and Joshua will repeat them later as well.

Romans 2:29 tries to explain it further… “No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person's praise is not from other people, but from God.” It sounds complicated…but it’s really not.  God just wants us to peel back the layers of doubt and worldly influence in our lives…and let him have complete control.

I needed the reminder that all I really need is God. My sweet granddaughter asked me this week what my dream home would look like. Knowing deep down that there were a few things I would love to change about the home God had given me…I chose instead to answer her that I was already in it. Sure I would love to have more…but that is the world telling me that. The spirit that God gives tells me that what I have now is all he needs me to have to do his will.  If I need more…he will add it when I need it.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I have everything that I need to love you and serve you with my whole heart. Forgive me for the times that I allow that worldly skin to build up around my heart.  Help me to circumcise my heart anew each morning….with praises to you...the one true God. Give me a thankful heart that wants to serve you and love you more than anything else in the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment