Saturday, July 23, 2016

Put Away Negative Thoughts

Deuteronomy 20:8-9 -  Then the officers shall add, “Is anyone afraid or fainthearted? Let him go home so that his fellow soldiers will not become disheartened too.”  When the officers have finished speaking to the army, they shall appoint commanders over it.

As the people neared a time of battle…Moses gave them specific instructions for each situation they might face in war.  Most of the instructions were directed at what spoils they were allowed to keep…and what must be destroyed.  But Moses made sure to include several verses that gave those with unfinished business…or too much fear…a chance to go home.

I might be stretching my understanding of these verses a bit too far…but I couldn’t help but see a lot of value …in war or other times….in letting our negative emotions get to the point that they begin to affect others.  Negativity breeds more negativity…it says in Galatians 6:1…” Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.”

I am guilty…as usual….and needed a reminder that when I allow negative thoughts…and especially when I voice them to others….satan loves to take them and plant seeds of discourse. I need to claim Philippians 4:8…which says…”Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I must stay positive…never giving satan a chance to use my negative thoughts against me or anyone else in my pathway.  Forgive me for the many times that I have allowed negative thoughts to harbor…or be voiced at all. Help me to spend so much time with you that I hear your small still voice reminding me of a positive thought …anytime my thoughts turn negative. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment