Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Vows Are Serious Business

Deuteronomy 23:21 – 23 -  If you make a vow to the Lord your God, do not be slow to pay it, for the Lord your God will certainly demand it of you and you will be guilty of sin.  But if you refrain from making a vow, you will not be guilty.  Whatever your lips utter you must be sure to do, because you made your vow freely to the Lord your God with your own mouth.

Tucked into chapter 23 are more miscellaneous rules the Israelites needed to keep their lives holy and clean. Included in these directions is a reminder that any vow you make to God is serious stuff.

A vow is simply a promise you make to God.  Whether it be in a moment of extreme pain or anguish…in fear or remorse…. Or in a moment of thankfulness and praise…God remember every promise you ever made to him. He will hold you accountable for each one.

The New Testament agrees with this reminder from Moses.  Ecclesiastes 4:4-7 says. When you make a vow to God, do not be late in paying it; for He takes no delight in fools. Pay what you vow! It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay.  Do not let your speech cause you to sin and do not say in the presence of the messenger of God that it was a mistake. Why should God be angry on account of your voice and destroy the work of your hands?  For in many dreams and in many words there is emptiness. Rather, fear God.

Breaking your promise to God breaks more than just your word.  It breaks your relationship to him. It breaks your relationship with others.  It damages the trust you might have built with others that see and witness your actions. Let’s face it…God hears every vow we make to others.. Just because it isn’t a promise to God…doesn’t mean we have the right to break our word to anyone.

Thank the Lord that Jesus fulfilled all the laws and forgiveness is offered for this sin. I for one would have paid dearly for the breakage of my first marriage vows. And I am sure that I have broken vows I made in the past…so many I can’t remember them all. I needed the penalty paid big time for this serious sin. I sure needed the reminder that it is better not to vow at all than to vow and never keep my word.


Father…thank you for the reminder that my word should be a true measure of my character. Forgive me for the times I have broken promises to you and others in my life.  Thank you for the forgiveness you offer for my sin.  Give me the courage and wisdom  need for you to help me uncover all the broken promises I have made to you and others…and begin to make amends where it is possible….finally coming through with the pledge that I made. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment