Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Different Tasks...Same Importance


Judges 8:1-3-   Now the Ephraimites asked Gideon, "Why have you treated us like this? Why didn't you call us when you went to fight Midian?" And they criticized him sharply.  But he answered them, "What have I accomplished compared to you? Aren't the gleanings of Ephraim's grapes better than the full grape harvest of Abiezer?  God gave Oreb and Zeeb, the Midianite leaders, into your hands. What was I able to do compared to you?" At this, their resentment against him subsided.

 

Gideon had just watched God defeat a huge army of men…yet he had two whole tribes of Israel mad at him…because he hadn’t asked them to go with him.  He had to remind them that they served an important role in staying back from the main battle…that they had been instrumental in catching the Midianite leaders…because they had stayed in a position where they could play clean up.

 

It reminds me how it takes more than one role to sometimes complete a whole job.  From the one who mops the floor…to the one who stands in front of the front door and greets the people…God has ordained us to be our best at different tasks.  He gave some of us an ability to clean and scrub…some the taste buds and hands to create wonderful meals…and some the voices of angels to prepare his congregation for worship. He calls all of us to different tasks…because he gave us different talents and abilities.

 

All the jobs are equally important…for if one of us becomes discontent with our job…and seeks something we think is a more glorious position….some of God’s work goes undone. We all have a comfort zone of anointing…be it cleaning….teaching…singing…or greeting.  We need to be content with the work God gives us to do...no matter what it may be.   We need to embrace it and be the best at what he created us to be.

 

Father…I thank you for the reminder that I need to embrace the simple tasks you give me to do...and be content with the little things you give me to do.  Help me this morning not to complain about the jobs you give me to do…but embrace them …and become great at where you have placed me.  Show me how to utilize all the abilities you gave me to do the work you need me to do.  Help me see the bigger picture I am helping to complete by doing my small job the best that can. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment