Friday, March 15, 2013

Is My Treasure of God?


Judges 18:27-31 -   Then they took what Micah had made, and his priest, and went on to Laish, against a peaceful and unsuspecting people. They attacked them with the sword and burned down their city.  There was no one to rescue them because they lived a long way from Sidon and had no relationship with anyone else. The city was in a valley near Beth Rehob. The Danites rebuilt the city and settled there.  They named it Dan after their forefather Dan, who was born to Israel--though the city used to be called Laish.  There the Danites set up for themselves the idols, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.  They continued to use the idols Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh.

 

Israel still had no king…no judge…no leader…so instead of conquering the land God had given the tribe…they set out to find an easier place to live.  Spies were sent….and the 5 of them happened by Micah’s shrine and spent the night on their way to check out the hill country of Laish.  The spies found a peaceful people…which they could destroy easily with their resources.  They ended up taking the land…then stole Micah’s idols …and Micah’s priest…to set up their own temple in the new home they called Dan.

 

The minds of men…when left to their lustful roots…can justify just about any action as godly. It is so sad to me that a tribe justified so easily …killing so many peaceful people…whom it does not mention at all were guilty of the idol worship God saw fit to destroy in the other parts of Canaan. They had become so self-consumed that they also justified stealing all that Micah had built around him. It is a living example of why these great words of Matthew 6:19 word recorded….   "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.”  What Micah built around him …was taken in moments…leaving him with nothing.

 

This story reminds me how important it is to place more importance on the treasure I store in my heart…instead of the shoes …jewelry…furniture…or other material wealth that can be destroyed in the blink of an eye. Micah had no insurance…and sure couldn’t go purchase any in those days…so all he had…because he had built it for himself…was taken.  I really need to make sure that I have asked God about everything I have around me…and be sure that the resources I have are being used to do his work.  It is our lustful human nature to want to collect nice things around us…instead of share all we have with others.

 

I have this one problem that might be a little out of control.  I love yarn…and just can’t seem to stop buying it.  I am sure that I don’t stop and ask God every time I go to Big Lots and buy 6 or 7 new skeins of yarn. And I sure don’t think about where I am going to store it...because 3 drawers I reserved for yarn are overflowing into the floor. And I sure don’t have a plan in mind when I buy it…it just looks pretty…and I think...I can make something out of it. One of my sisters has the same shopping disease…but her stash was wiped out recently…when her basement storage room was flooded. Almost all she had collected over the years …skeins and skeins…..was destroyed in moments….a present day reminder to me to be more careful.  A simple story that God can use to remind us all to be careful what we collect on Earth.

 

Oh father...help me to let go of the need to have ‘things’ around me.  Help me to fill my heart and soul with your words from the bible….and use the resources you have blessed me with to help others.  Put purpose in all my collections of ‘things’ and remove from my life anything that threatens to become an idol.  Help me to remember to ask you each and every time I think I need something new…to make sure is something you can use in my life to bless others…or help me grow in understanding of your deep love for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment