Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Selfless LOve...So Special


Ruth 1:6-9 -  When she heard in Moab that the LORD had come to the aid of his people by providing food for them, Naomi and her daughters-in-law prepared to return home from there.  With her two daughters-in-law she left the place where she had been living and set out on the road that would take them back to the land of Judah.  Then Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, "Go back, each of you, to your mother's home. May the LORD show kindness to you, as you have shown to your dead and to me.  May the LORD grant that each of you will find rest in the home of another husband." Then she kissed them and they wept aloud…

 

It was the time when judges ruled the Israelites…but famine had stricken the small town of Bethlehem…so Elimelech had taken his wife Naomi and their two sons to Moab to live…where food was available.  While they were there his two sons married Moabite women…but all three men died…leaving Naomi and her two daughter-in-laws widows. Naomi had decided to go back to Bethlehem to her family…because the famine had ended…and intended to take her 2 daughter-in-laws with her….but something changed her mind.

 

I understand the plight of widows well…it is by far the hardest emotional roller coaster I have ever ridden. Naomi was torn between the love she felt for these young women…the need they had for Yahweh’s healing touch….and the knowledge that they would be foreigners in Bethlehem…and would fare a better chance of remarriage if they went back home. So she tearfully sacrificed her own need to have these young women remain in her daily life….and urged them to return home to their parents.  She encouraged them to return home and start over …even if it meant hardship for herself.

 

It seemed strange at first that Naomi would utter a prayer to God to protect and keep these Moabite women…but then after I thought about it….she must have loved them very much…and it was natural for her to want to intercede for them.  They sure couldn’t pray for themselves.  Naomi must have also wanted to make sure that these women did not feel pushed or coerced into going with her…making her prayer so much more special and selfless.

 

She must have been so happy for Orpah…when she turned and started back home…feeling a sense that she had done the right thing.  But…what a wash of peace must have come over her soul as she heard the answer of Ruth…recorded in those great verses 16 and 17…. But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.  Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me."  Orpah would return to find her hope and healing in her family….but Ruth would find her hope and healing in her life with Naomi…learning about Yahweh and his ability to heal.

 

Father …I thank you for this great story of love and sacrifice. It reminds me of how you can work in our lives if we empty ourselves of selfishness.  I t reminds me how a simple act of sacrifice can become the instrument you use to save a soul.  It also reminds me that there is more than one way to start over.  Help me this morning to find new ways to sacrifice for others…and plant the seeds of your love with my actions to those around me.  Build in me the type of selflessness that you instilled in Naomi….and use those acts of sacrifice to power my own healing…showing me clearly your plans you have to give me hope for my future…to prosper me…and use me to build your kingdom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment