Tuesday, March 12, 2013

God Has The Last Word


Judges 15:12-15   -  They said to him, "We've come to tie you up and hand you over to the Philistines." Samson said, "Swear to me that you won't kill me yourselves."  "Agreed," they answered. "We will only tie you up and hand you over to them. We will not kill you." So they bound him with two new ropes and led him up from the rock.  As he approached Lehi, the Philistines came toward him shouting. The Spirit of the LORD came upon him in power. The ropes on his arms became like charred flax, and the bindings dropped from his hands.  Finding a fresh jawbone of a donkey, he grabbed it and struck down a thousand men.

 

Samson had somehow reached a point of forgiving his fiancé… we are not told just what changed his mind…but he is so intent on renewing his vows to her that he brings her a gift.  But Samson is too late.... she has been given to another…and he allows anger and bitterness to begin a horrible progression of revenge.

 

First Samson strikes out at the Philistines by burning their fields with foxes…tied together with flaming torches.  Then the Philistines destroy the home …. father ….and life …of the woman he loved with equivalent fire.  So Samson just attacked them outright….destroying as many as he could before retreating to a cave to hide.  This is where he stayed… till a band of his Jewish brothers came to bind him up and deliver him back to the Philistines…because they  feared for what the out of control game of revenge might do to their own families…already under the oppression of the mighty Philistines.

 

And then God takes control.  He sends his precious Holy Spirit into Samson’s soul…and this third time … it releases a surge of power in Samson…that ends the mad game they are playing with people’s lives and belongings. The supernatural strength Samson receives from the Lord …kills one thousand Philistines … with a simple jawbone of a donkey….and Samson becomes Israel’s leader for 20 years…beginning the process of delivering the people of Israel from the bondage of the Philistines.

 

I can’t let Samson take the rap on this on be alone…and I might win a bet that says I am not the only one who has ventured to play the game of revenge with someone.  We may not have committed arson…or murdered people in the process…but we definitely did some damage to someone’s lives…if not our own…with our need to get even.  But I am reminded by this story…that no matter how tied up we are in our own selfishness…and our need to play games of life that help us feel we are in control…God will have the last word.  And when God’s spirit is released into our lives….his power puts us right back where he wanted us to be.

 

I am comforted by the knowledge that God is watching me…and controls me even when I think I am acting on my own. His purpose will be accomplished…his plan will be put back on track…when he decides to take control once again in my life. He will even forgive me for my period of selfishness.   He will cleanse my soul of the need to act out in bitterness and anger at someone else who hurt me…and replace it with his precious love…his power  to meet the needs that I forgot are more important.

 

Oh father…I thank you this morning for the love that watches over my every move.  I thank you that you can take control of everything in my life…at the exact moment that it will start to accomplish your purpose.  Help me to stop and consider your love the next time satan tries to trick me into a game of revenge…and wait on your justice and judgment to decide what is right for me.  Cleanse my soul today of all traces of bitterness and hate...that might tempt me to take matters into my own control.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment