Thursday, March 5, 2015

More Of Him....Less Of Me


Matthew 3:1-3 - In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the desert in the country of Judea.  He said, “Be sorry for your sins and turn from them! The holy nation of heaven is near.” The early preacher Isaiah spoke of this man. He said, “Listen! His voice calls out in the desert! ‘Make the way ready for the Lord. Make the road straight for Him!’”

 

John the Baptist…the cousin of Jesus…knew clearly his mission in life was to reveal the coming of the Messiah to the people in Judea.  He lived a radical life out in the wilderness.  He ate what God provided…honey from wild bees and locusts. He wore a simple cloak of animal skins. He spent his days preaching and baptizing those who came to hear his sermons about repenting of their sins and turn back to God. He accepted his calling and it became his passion.

 

John understood the concept that John talked about in John 3:30 before it was even written. It says… “He must become more important. I must become less important.”  We know this because when Jesus came to be baptized by John….he said he was not worthy of it.  He wanted Jesus to baptize him.  Jesus reminded him that some things just have to be done because they fulfilled the many prophecy’s about his coming....so John baptized him despite his personal feelings.

 

What a model of how we are all supposed to live our lives for Christ.  Once we accept him as our Savior and Lord …we are all bound to prepare the way for others that do not know him.  Matthew tells us later in chapter 26…verses 16-20 that we are all to go to the ends of the earth and preach his truth.  He charged us all to make followers…make sure they are baptized…and taught how to do exactly what Jesus modeled for us while he was here on earth.

 

I admit that my passion stops with waking early most mornings to write.  Perhaps I could justify that I am fulfilling my calling with just that…but I know in my heart that would be settling for less than God intends in my life. If could adopt the mentality of John…be ready to drop everything and move to whatever wilderness God needs me too….dress in the oldest …least fashionable clothes…and eat only what he provided for me while I am there….I might get to see amazing things like John did. After all…he was the first to see the Trinity all together in the same place at one time. The Holy Spirit in the form of that dove sat right on Jesus somewhere…as God the Father spoke so everyone could hear his voice how proud he was of his son.

 

Father...thank you for the reminder that God has a plan for my life…and it is more about Him that it is me.  Forgive me for the time that I have allowed my selfish nature to control my decisions…and have shied away from the plan that you really have planned for me.  Help me to use the time that I do seek you out…to listen closely to the direction you need me to go. Help me to lessen my need to be important and loved by others…so that you can use me like you did John.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment