Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Trust God Without Borders


Matthew 16:17-18 and 23  -  Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it.

….Jesus turned to Peter and said, “Get away from me, Satan! You are a dangerous trap to me. You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, not from God’s.”

 

He had dealt with the religious leader once more and refused to play their games.  The only sign of his authority he would give them was the story of Jonah. Then he turned to the ones that had lived with him the last few months and asked them who they thought he was. Most of the disciples regurgitated the words they had heard from other people….he was a great prophet….or John the Baptist…or Elijah come back. But Peter stood and boldly declared what God had revealed to his heart…soul….and mind.  Jesus was without a doubt in his mind the long awaited Messiah.

 

As proud of Peter Jesus had been at this declaration….moments later he gave Peter one of the harshest rebukes of his life. Peter’s knowledge of who Christ was stopped with knowing who He was.  His vision of why God Had sent His son was all but earthly. He was so close to understanding the whole picture…to harnessing the full power that Jesus gave him moments before.

 

It is a reminder to me that God’s vision of things usually does not match the earthly way in which we think. Peter was going to be a great preacher….full of power and strength just like his mentor Jesus…but he had to let go of the world before that would happen. It would take a few more hard lessons before he was ready…and God would patiently fix a soldier’ ear….and restore his faith after a 3 time denial to teach Peter the Heavenly concept of what love is all about.

 

I admit that I have been a Peter many times.  My earthly understanding has been a roadblock to a greater understanding of the power I could harness to do His work. I am beginning to trust God with a deeper faith…and admit freely that I have many more lessons to go. It is simply not easy to believe in the supernatural sometimes….especially when the reality of earth…..the life hurts you encounter daily are staring you in the face.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that your picture of the world is complete in every way.  Forgive me for letting the world blind me from the supernatural things you want to do in my life. Help me to trust you without borders.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment