Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Love Of Most Will Grow Cold




Matthew 24:12-14 -  Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.  And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

 

Jesus had told the disciples that the earthly Temple they walked through that very morning would be completely destroyed….till no stone was left on its original place. Now they were sitting around Him as He taught on the Mount of Olives…asking Him what He meant.  His words reminded them of the prophecies from Daniel and Zechariah about the end of all time…the point when God would conquer the evil in this world for good….and set up His Earthly kingdom to reign in peace and love forever.

 

It is so hard to wrap your mind and heart around the words that Jesus spoke.  Many of the signs He called birth pains have been happening for years and years.  Scholars of the writings and prophecies say we are very close to the end…and even as I write there is an urgency in my spirit that tells me they are more right than wrong.  But the thing that weighs heaviest this morning is not that we may be close to the end…but that we are obviously not all ready and prepared as Jesus warned.

 

His words told us to preach the truth of the Kingdom of God to all people. All will have a chance to hear His name before he comes. Everyone will have a chance to understand their choice to love Him or reject Him.  Many false Gods will slow the work of God…proclaiming things that will confuse even those that love Him.

 

He also told us to guard the flame of love He planted in our hearts….to know in advance that many who call on His name will let their love for Him grow cold. We need to keep the fire inside our spirits burning brightly with daily prayer and Bible study. We need to share our fire with others in service to anyone who may benefit from what God has blessed us with. We need to ask for discernment so we can recognize those false teachers and let God help us to overcome the persecution and evil that will affect our lives toward the end.

 

I admit that it is easy to become tempted to say…the end is far away…and even if it’s not….those things will never happen in my lifetime…or in my country…or in my town.  Rationalizing the truth we just read as to far distant in the future…or not affecting us personally...is the first step in letting our faith and wisdom take a vacation. God wants desperately for the whole world to accept and love Him…but he knows in advance that that is not the way it will happen. If I am to endure with my faith and love for Him intact…I have to believe that He could come…even as I write my next word…as a flash of lightening…no warning.  That folks is how you keep the fire He placed inside you so strong you can’t help but heat up the ones He placed around you as you grow in His love and truth.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you are coming back as you said. It’s not important that I know when or how or even what will happen to me when you come…I just need to be watching and prepared to worship you and call you Lord forever.  Forgive me once again for letting the world cool my heart even the slightest bit…and missing opportunities to witness and testify to the great things you have brought me through and the promises that you made to give me hope in any situation.  Help me to work harder to fan the flame you placed inside me as bright and intense as I can…so I can reach more of the world with your light.  Amen.

 

 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment