Sunday, March 8, 2015

Worry Is damagingTo Our Mind....Body....And Spirit


Matthew 6:25-26 -  “I tell you this: Do not worry about your life. Do not worry about what you are going to eat and drink. Do not worry about what you are going to wear. Is not life more important than food? Is not the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds in the sky. They do not plant seeds. They do not gather grain. They do not put grain into a building to keep. Yet your Father in heaven feeds them! Are you not more important than the birds?

 

Jesus continued to teach the disciples wherever they went. The lessons included the importance of humility when praying….fasting …giving….or doing any act of kindness.  He called those who do things for the wrong reasons hypocrites. He warned them how damaging money can be to their focus on God…then he launched into this important teaching on worrying.

 

He told us simply not to worry…that it would not change the outcome in the end one bit.  He said that he cared much more for us than the animals and birds that he clothed and cared for in nature…that God promised to care for our every need.

 

Worry is damaging to our mind….body and spirit.  It affects our physical body by raising blood pressure and creating stress. It affects our sleep routines and interferes with healthy eating in a negative way. It attacks our mind and spirit by consuming our thoughts….putting the center of our thoughts on ourselves instead of God. It reduces productivity and decreases the good we could do for the kingdom if we were centered more on God’s plan for our lives. It decreases our trust in God…and produces an unhealthy fear of the future.

 

It reminds me to hold fast to one of the scriptures I do not have to google to remember where it is. Jeremiah 29:11 says that God knows the plans he has for us…and they are plans to prosper us…not harm us. He wants us to have hope for our future…not fear…(translation mine.) I cling to that promise often….and it helps me not to worry so much about the timing or exact details of that marvelous plan…to trust that God is working something great to insure that I am cared for at just the exact level that will be best for me.  The level that will insure that I learn everything I need to learn to be an obedient worker for him.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to guard against worrying about all things in life. Forgive me for the times that Have not placed my full trust in you…and let worry consume me and take my focus off of you.  Help me to be so centered on you that I don’t let worry catapult me into a time of pity…or concern over things that do not matter to my relationship to you. Let my thoughts be so consumed with serving you that I am amazed by the blessings that come when I am obedient to you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment