Monday, March 30, 2015

Talk Is Cheap


Matthew 26:31-35 - Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: “‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered. ’But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.” Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”  “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”  But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.

 

It was one of the longest days for Jesus. He had been anointed for His death with some expensive perfume….felt the sting of betrayal as Judas sold Him out for 30 pieces of silver…reclined at a humble table of Passover fixings….all the while emotionally struggling with the approaching task of sacrificing His perfect life for all on the cross. The thing that weighed heaviest on His heart in this moment…was that the closest twelve people He had come to love and trust the most…would all abandon Him and scatter before daybreak.

 

They were brave and bold when Jesus was right next to them…denying that they could ever feel so far and distant from their teacher….but as soon as he was removed from them they fell apart and became weaker than they ever expected in their own minds. Oh how Jesus must have hurt from the knowledge that no one would stay with Him to support Him as He finished the hard task His father gave Him to do.

 

Jesus left that dinner and went straight to pray to His father. He took a few of the twelve with Him to pray…but they were so focused on themselves that they fell asleep. He had told them many times what was about to happen…He had even let them know the amazing fact that He was going to be resurrected ad return to them. But they were still in human mode…and saw only the possibility of an Earthly Kingdom…Jesus the ruler of the Jews and they as His assistants….ears…heart…and minds closed to any other option.

 

It is a reminder that talk is cheap… words mean nothing if they are not backed up with actions. It is a reminder that apart from Christ we have no power in our selves…it is His power that gives us the strength to carry out even the hardest tasks He gives us to do. It is a reminder that above all I must work to somehow stay connected to the source of all power…for without Him…I would fall apart just like these twelve men.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am weakest when I rely on my own human instincts and resources.  Forgive me for limiting myself with my own thoughts and actions. Help me to stay connected to you so that I will always have the best back up plan available….so that I will always have your power and strength to help me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment