Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Let God Remove your Critical Spirit

Numbers 12:1-4 -   Miriam and Aaron began to talk against Moses because of his Cushite wife, for he had married a Cushite.  “Has the Lord spoken only through Moses?” they asked. “Hasn’t he also spoken through us?” And the Lord heard this. (Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth.) At once the Lord said to Moses, Aaron and Miriam, “Come out to the tent of meeting, all three of you.” So the three of them went out.

Miriam and Aaron let a spirit of criticism invade their hearts toward Moses. Their murmurs started with the judgment of who Moses married…but the real issue was that they felt Moses had a bit too much of a monopoly on God’s favor and time. Miriam’s criticism and deep jealously must have been a bit deeper than Aaron’s …for after God’s close up ‘ meeting’… with all three…Miriam was immediately struck with leprosy.

God healed her after 7 days in the leper colony outside the camp…but I bet the lesson she learned about letting a critical spirit overtake your mind stayed with her forever. Part jealousy… a bit pride...and a deficit of humility can become a dangerous combination when it come to our relationship with God and our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Try as I might to be a positive person …I have to admit that I struggle with the same problem Miriam and Aaron did. Most of my critical statements are veiled in humor…but their negative content can’t be hidden after it is spoken. I always realize too late how mean spirited it sounded…and spend many hours feeling bad…or reflecting on how wrong it was for me to say it in the first place.

I also admit that there is a time and place for straight up rebuke.  2 Timothy 3 says.   “ All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. But we must be careful that our rebuke is God led…and we are not judging. Matthew 7:12 is clear… “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.”


Father….thank you for the reminder that a critical spirit is not of you. Forgive me for the many times I have let my mouth have control of the judgmental words in my heart…and let them materialize into hurtful situations…or times of tearing down ones nature. Help me to learn to control the negative things satan tries to get me to say…to rebuke these negative thoughts before they become hurtful words. remove the log from my own eyes so I can see you more clearly  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment