Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Blood Of Christ Purifies All Uncleanliness

Numbers 19:20-21 - But if those who are unclean do not purify themselves, they must be cut off from the community, because they have defiled the sanctuary of the Lord. The water of cleansing has not been sprinkled on them, and they are unclean.  This is a lasting ordinance for them.

God had very strict rules for those that became unclean. Some sicknesses…almost anything that dealt with blood…and leprosy were some of the ways you could become unclean. This whole chapter dealt with the uncleanliness of touching a dead body. God knew that some of these things would always be a part of their earthly lives…so he gave them a way to purify and clean themselves up...a way to keep the unclean things from separating them from God’s presence.

We no longer have to complete these rituals because Christ took care of all the ways we could become unclean with the precious blood he shed for us on the cross.  Hebrews 9:13-14 sums it up very clearly.  It says… “For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that their bodies are clean, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself unblemished to God, purify our consciences from works of death, so that we may serve the living God!

I admit that it is way harder to make the effort to clean up our lives and spirit than it is to just let life happen. David Guzik …one of my favorite commentators….added even another layer of thought to my understanding.  He said, “Uncleanliness is easily transmitted – but cleanliness has to be deliberately sought.” It makes it clear to me that the action of wanting to clean ourselves up starts with a conviction and admission of guilt.

I am so glad that I don’t have to keep the ashes of a red heifer around to cleanse myself in...I’d be sprinkling that ashy water on me all the time. I only need to ask God to wash me clean…anytime …as many times as I fail...which for me is more than once daily. He does the rest….and keeps me connected to the source of love that keeps this old gal from throwing in the towel on this crazy world God placed me in.


Father…thank you for the reminder that when I let my choices in life…or just realize that something has made me unclean in your eyes…I just need to stop and admit my guilt so you can cleanse it all way. Forgive me for taking for granted the blood your precious son shed for me on that cross.  Help me to stop more often and examine my life….searching out all the impurities that keep me from being all that you made me to be….so I can ask you to clean every last bit of the world out of my heart.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment