Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Compromise


Numbers 32:6-11 -  Moses said to the Gadites and Reubenites, "Shall your countrymen go to war while you sit here?  Why do you discourage the Israelites from going over into the land the LORD has given them?  This is what your fathers did when I sent them from Kadesh Barnea to look over the land.  After they went up to the Valley of Eshcol and viewed the land, they discouraged the Israelites from entering the land the LORD had given them.  The LORD's anger was aroused that day and he swore this oath:  'Because they have not followed me wholeheartedly, not one of the men twenty years old or more who came up out of Egypt will see the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob

 

Three tribes with many sheep…..saw the goodness of the land on the east of the Jordan…and they petitioned Moses to stay there…and not go over to the Promised Land.  Moses was so angry…his heart was full of memories…of another time.  Moses doubted the faith of these three tribes…who saw goodness in the land on the east of the Jordan river. Moses feared the same attitude of their fathers was creeping into the midst of the camp once again….and he reminded them of the mistakes of their fathers. 

 

Moses was also concerned that their request would start another rebellion…just as the 12 spies before had done. He must have replayed the last 40 years in his head as he gave his speech to these leaders…with a most serious tone….calling out every bad thing that had happened because of the nation’s disobedience.

 

The leaders of this great tribe stood firm in their request…by humbly explaining the reasoning behind their request. They listened quietly to Moses as he poured out his concerns…and they saw his fear…heard his heart…considered his words.  And then they quietly assured him that they supported him wholly…and would fight for the land with their brothers and cousins and friends… and not stop or give up and return to their families until every last Israelite had received its portion of the Promised Land.

 

It seems to me that this is the way for all of us to treat each other…when we disagree. Moses was right to consider the past…our past should always stay in the back of our minds as a reminder of where God brought us.  And we should always see the goodness of our future….and try to claim it when it presents new options.  Then as mature people who see the good of both sides of an issue…we reach a compromise… that considers both viewpoints…and blends the two ideas…with God’s blessing on both!

 

Father...I thank you for the model of the Israelites… who wandered in the dessert…and saw the goodness of even the land that bordered your Promised inheritance of Canaan.  I thank you also for Moses…who maintained his connection to you till the end…and remembered the past struggles of his people. I thank you for this story of compromise and peace…of working things out so that your goodness could be found in the end.  Help me this day to look for the goodness of my future…wherever you may send me.  Help me to always keep the past struggles you have brought me through… in my heart…so I will remember what you have done to save me.  Blend these two pictures in my souls to help me be always knowing… and using everything that has happened to me to guide me to the future you have promised…one of hope…and blessing.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment