Thursday, December 20, 2012

We Need Boundaries


Numbers 34: 1-2…and 12-15 -  The LORD said to Moses,  "Command the Israelites and say to them: 'When you enter Canaan, the land that will be allotted to you as an inheritance will have these boundaries………

Then the boundary will go down along the Jordan and end at the Salt Sea. " 'This will be your land, with its boundaries on every side.' " Moses commanded the Israelites: "Assign this land by lot as an inheritance. The LORD has ordered that it be given to the nine and a half tribes,  because the families of the tribe of Reuben, the tribe of Gad and the half-tribe of Manasseh have received their inheritance. These two and a half tribes have received their inheritance on the east side of the Jordan of Jericho, toward the sunrise." 

 

The people of God were camped next to the Jordan River…..ready to move at the word of the Lord…but God was not quite ready for them to go.  He had a few more directions for Moses to deliver to the people…before they crossed the river and began to drive out the people who already lived in the Promised Land that God had promised so long ago to Abram.  The land he was giving them had very specific boundaries….to the north…south...east and west.  The 2 ½ tribes that had been given the land east of the Jordan…were not included…they had been given their inheritance…but the other 9 ½ tribes were to divide the 8,000 square miles described by God… by lot…based on the number of people in the tribe.

 

I was just a bit unfocused last night…and found myself hurrying through my reading last night. I really had trouble pronouncing all those land names…and had no personal knowledge of where they were and just how large the area was that he gave them. I looked at the map in my bible…and jotted down some generic notes that left me wondering what God needed me to glean from this chapter.   But when I woke this morning…the word boundaries was heavy on my mind. And as God’s spirit began to make my reading more clear…I quickly jotted down that everyone needs boundaries…and that God did not give them the whole world…just what they needed in that moment to live...just what he knew they needed to be his people….to flourish and live and worship him.

 

These boundaries established the Israelites as a separate people.  A nation that was ordered by God’s own hand…who trusted in his provision and care. They needed these boundaries to maintain their relationship with God…and keep their different way of life separate from the pagan people around them.  God gave them just what they needed…no more …no less. He provided for them the perfect place to grow in understanding of the creator…and flourish from the blessings he would provide within the rules he gave them…within the imaginary fence he drew on the land he gave them to live. 

 

It has taken me 54 years…but I realize now that God gave me boundaries too…and when I step outside them….life goes quickly out of control.  I have the same 10 rules he gave Moses so long ago….and I have been placed in this time…and this place to do a specific task for him. Much like the Israelites…I don’t always see or understand where he is taking me…and it seems some days he is just leading me around in circles in a wilderness.  But some days…as I listen to his voice speak from his word…and I close out the voice of the world that tries to convince me to step outside that boundary he gave me…even in the tough times…the blessings flow freely. I have been blessed more than some…with great kids….a warm cozy home to live….a church to worship my wonderful God in…and friends to enjoy it with!

 

Thank you God for the boundaries you set for me when I gave my life to you.  Help me today to live within them…and not question why you have placed me where you have in this moment.  Give me the patience to wait for you to speak to me and tell me clearly what task you put me here for….and not let the world trick me into wanting to hurry up and walk in front of your plan.  I thank you for all the blessings you have given me to enjoy while I wait.  Give me strength…and wisdom…and a renewed trust in your great goodness and mercy…so that I will not be swayed to the left or the right….but stay focused and walk with faith on the path you have chosen for me to walk. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment