Monday, December 10, 2012

God Uses Us..In Spite of Us!


Numbers 24:1-5 -  Now Balaam saw that it pleased the Lord to bless Israel, so he did not go, as at other times, to look for omens, but set his face toward the wilderness.  Balaam looked up and saw Israel camping tribe by tribe. Then the spirit of God came upon him,  and he uttered his oracle, saying: "The oracle of Balaam son of Beor, the oracle of the man whose eye is clear,  the oracle of one who hears the words of God, who sees the vision of the Almighty, who falls down, but with eyes uncovered:  how fair are your tents, O Jacob, your encampments, O Israel!

 

Balaam did not need to consult with God the third time.  He had finally learned from his first two conversations with God that God loved Israel with a passion like no other. So as he turned to look out over the enormous camp of this people God loved and just reflect on how awesome he must truly be….God’s very spirit came down to him....and moved him to yet another great blessing of this nation God loved.

 

Balak reached his limit of patience with this man…who finally allowed God to change his heart of greed and lust for money to a passion for God and his people. And so Balaam turns his words of prophecy to Balak…and he cursed the people of Moab…and all the others that laid in the land that God had given to the Israelites.

 

His curse contained a curious statement of prophecy about a star….of Jacob.  Verse seventeen says, “ I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near— a star shall come out of Jacob, and a scepter shall rise out of Israel; it shall crush the borderlands of Moab, and the territory of all the Shethites.” Some scholars believe this curse...that contains the prophecy of a ‘star of Jacob’….is the first prediction of the Messiah that would save all people.

 

Makes me so glad that God used Balaam in spite of his previous sin.  It affirms to me that God can use anyone he wishes to work out the plan he has for our lives. This sorcerer…as some have labeled him…gets a whopping dose of God ...and ends up getting it right. It gives this crazy old woman such hope…that God can use me in spite of all the mistakes I have made in life. I am so encouraged… that God will someday strengthen me to get it right too.

 

Father…I thank you for this example of how you can change a life…and empower it to do great things for you! Help me to search my heart for the words you would have me to say…and speak them in the beauty that Balaam did. Help me to reflect upon the beauty of this world you loved so much that you sent your son to die on a cross and save it from all sin. As this Christmas season tries to wrap its materialistic arms around me…give me clear visions of that innocent baby you sent you so long ago…to be raided up as a final sacrifice for my sins.  Help me to celebrate the birth of the one who gave his life for me…and truly understand the reason for this glorious season.   Use me to spread the true meaning of Christmas to all.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment