Monday, December 24, 2012

Do Not Provoke...


Deuteronomy 2:1-5 -  Then we turned back and set out toward the desert along the route to the Red Sea, as the LORD had directed me. For a long time we made our way around the hill country of Seir.  Then the LORD said to me,  "You have made your way around this hill country long enough; now turn north.  Give the people these orders: 'You are about to pass through the territory of your brothers the descendants of Esau, who live in Seir. They will be afraid of you, but be very careful.  Do not provoke them to war, for I will not give you any of their land, not even enough to put your foot on. I have given Esau the hill country of Seir as his own.

 

Moses is continuing the story of God’s great provision…how he used the last 40 years to humble them for their sin….destroy their lusts for physical pleasures…and teach them to be content and comfort themselves in God.  He has them remember the time when they passed through the territory of Esau and Lot….and had to be careful not to provoke them to war…or take anything that they did not pay for. God had already given this land to someone else…he had something else in mind for the descendants of Abraham.

 

Sometimes God calls us to be peaceful…to simply walk amongst the world with love in our heart.  We are to use the great resources he has supplied us with to bless others…that cross our path as we travel the road he commanded us to walk. He uses these times of peace to strengthen our faith…and teach us that the world is not just about us.  The peace we offer to others…strengthens the picture God wants all people to see when they think of him….for God is a God of love and compassion...mercy and forgiveness….peace and fairness.  He wants us to share with others the great blessings he has given to us…and model for them the great love of God. 

 

But this story of Moses had more than one lesson.  This story of Moses was as much a reminder to guard their hearts against greed as it was a story to remind them of the good things God had done for them. God had given them a land… and this land they would travel through had been given to someone else.  Moses is reminding us that Satan will try to plant small seeds of greed into our hearts….and as God blesses us with good things…the small seed of greed that Satan tricked us into keeping in our hearts…will grow into a strong plant….very hard to kill. 

 

Prayer is the only way I know to discern the difference between them.  When an opportunity presents itself to us we must be patient and pray….and ask God if it is for us…or another. His answer does not always come quickly…the Israelites wandered many years….some days they were called to peace…and others they were called to claim the lands they traveled through.  We must strengthen our faith and prayer life to the same level Moses had….so we can hear God’s voice clearly…and know when to take…and when to give.

 

God is teaching me slowly that everything that crosses my path is not for me.  I am still waiting on one answer to a prayer I lifted over two years ago. I admit that Satan has tried to push me to the end of my rope lately…but God grabbed it just in time…to help me hold on a little longer.  I cherish this lesson from Moses…cause it not only teaches me patience…but it gives me hope that my answer will come…when God is ready to give it. I must pray not only for his answer…but always continue to ask for his will as I wait. Even though I really would like an answer today…I know God will give me what I need to wait even 40 years if I need too.

 

Father…I thank you for your love and blessings.   I thank you that you have given me a hope for my future…to bless me and prosper me…and you will reveal your plans for me when you know I am ready to accept your will for my life.  Help me to wait…and throw off the sneaky attacks of Satan…as he tries to plant seeds of greed…and impatience…and bitterness.   Give me a double portion of love and mercy and grace…to kill off the seeds Satan tries to plant…before they can grow into stronger plants …hard to kill.  Teach me how to pray…and really listen to your directions that will give me the guidance I need to follow your will for my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment