Thursday, December 27, 2012

Listen...Learn...Obey!


Deuteronomy 5:1-3  and 32-33 -  Moses summoned all Israel and said: Hear, O Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them.  The LORD our God made a covenant with us at Horeb.  It was not with our fathers that the LORD made this covenant, but with us, with all of us who are alive here today……

So be careful to do what the LORD your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left.  Walk in all the way that the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.

 

Moses just couldn’t stop his speech without reminding the Israelites about the ten basic rules God gave him at Mount Sinai. They had made an important promise to God that day….to follow his commands with all their heart and soul. Moses did not just remind them of the rules… he used three important verbs when he spoke to them that day….he said to listen…to learn….and to obey.

 

I will admit that I am one of the worst listeners that exists in the world today.  I am much better at talking…but my random thoughts in verbal form don’t always make sense. True listening as Moses intended ...involves absorbing all the verbal and written information you are exposed too. And even though my severe….ADADHDHDHD…causes a lot of my problem…I have learned recently that I have a God who doesn’t even need medicine to overcome this aliment. Of course I have to remember to ask him to help me each day…so I know I could much better in this avenue.

 

Learning isn’t really any simpler...it is sometimes very hard to understand what is said….and even harder to decipher the implications for our life.  I am learning that reading the bible on a daily basis…and journaling my thoughts in these posts each day…has helped me to see more of the hidden wisdom in his word.  We can’t just sit our bible on our chests as we sleep and expect it to transfer without any effort. You must find a daily time to read and study…if not just one chapter….every day.

 

Obedience is another verb not many of us can claim mastery of. I can say that I have been obedient in some things….for at least the last few years.  But true obedience…in every aspect of my life….ummm…not so much for me.  If I truly obey…then everything I hear…and understand to be God’s direction for my life…will become an action of love…that creates an inseparable bond between me and God ..that Satan simply can’t penetrate.

 

My life application Bible had this great word picture…that I think I will keep in my head for a while to remind me of Moses’ words.  It said that we tend to take a picture of God…put it in a beautiful frame and brag to our friends that we know him.  We ignore the real God…that calls us to listen to his voice…hear and understand his wisdom…then apply it to our daily life.

 

Moses understood this was what the Israelites were doing too. They had a picture of God….his tablet of rules stored away in an ark.  It was time they took the rulebook out and reviewed it…and followed them…and use them daily to make all their decisions.  We should want to obey…because of all the good things he has done for us…of our own accord.  God simply does not want a forced…fake love from any of us.  He wants the kind of love that comes from a true relationship with him….because we talk to him every day….understand what he says…and know it will bring us the happiest possible life while we are here on hos great Earth.

 

Father…I am in awe of your patience with the world…with me…with all the years I did not listen …or hear…or obey your simple directions for my life.  Help me this day …and every day …to renew the commitment I made to you,  Help me to overcome the issues I have with listening…and continue to learn what you have hidden in your word for me to live by. Give me courage and strength and power to follow your rules…even when it is easier to follow the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment