Sunday, December 23, 2012

Remembrance Brings Renewed Responsibility


Deuteronomy 1:1-3 - These are the words Moses spoke to all Israel in the desert east of the Jordan--that is, in the Arabah--opposite Suph, between Paran and Tophel, Laban, Hazeroth and Dizahab.  (It takes eleven days to go from Horeb to Kadesh Barnea by the Mount Seir road.)  In the fortieth year, on the first day of the eleventh month, Moses proclaimed to the Israelites all that the LORD had commanded him concerning them.

 

Knowing his time on Earth was coming to a close….Moses gives one last speech of God’s goodness and provision to the Israelites poised to cross the Jordan and receive the great promises of God.  It is really more of a story… this first chapter of Deuteronomy beginning with the camp their fathers had set up at Mount Sinai….making sure they really understood the rebellious choices their fathers had made the first time God had brought them to this point.

 

God had done so many things to preserve these people…..his mercy evident in the many things he did to save them…feed them….strengthen them for the battles they would face because of their choices.  Moses reminded this mighty nation of the 40 years they were led through the wilderness…and the reason they were given this time of waiting and training to help them trust completely in God. 

 

I am so glad that Moses took the time to write it all down again…for his story tells us how important it is to remember the good things God has done for us……and the tragedies he has brought us through. It is important for us to review the history of our walk with God…to never forget the good things he has done…and to also keep in the forefront of our minds the mistakes and sins he has saved us from.

 

Sometimes it is hard to remember the past….our hearts breaking all over again with the guilt of our mistakes…or the pain that God brought us through in a great loss or tragedy. But the pain reminds us that this world is not our home…and God has a promise for us on the other side of Jordan.  The remembrance of what God saved us from renews the vow we made to him when we ask him into our heart.

 

I was so honored to travel to Nashville Tennessee yesterday...and assist my church in an amazing service to the poor in that great city.  Thousands of homeless children and their parents….and many of the poorest residents of the city...poured into the municipal auditorium…hoping to receive gifts for Christmas…groceries…a sleeping bag…a toy for their child. They were treated to more than they expected….a concert….a mini sermon explaining the plan of salvation…and the opportunity to pray the sinner’s prayer that might give them hope for their future.

 

I found myself praying with them…out loud…and renewing my own commitment to God in that moment.  And as my mind raced through all that he had done for me since I gave him my life when I was 14….. I realized he had done much more for me than I ever even thought about doing for him.  Just the thought of that will drive me to be a little more serious about the work he calls me to do in the next few days…a little more reflective of the great God he is…and how much he must love me to continue to shower on me his blessings…and let me tap into his great power and strength to weather any storms brewing in my path.

 

Father…I thank you for bringing to my remembrance all that you have done for me.  It is good to feel your love and cleansing anew this day…it is good to know that you are always there…ready to guide and catch me when I fall.  Most of all father…it is good to feel your forgiveness…and know that even in my many mistakes...you will always love me…and totally pardon me …and even use it to be a message of hope to others.   Help me father to make a few less mistakes in the coming days…to use the knowledge in your great Bible to strengthen and guide me as I move into the next season of work for you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment