Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Boundaries


Joshua 19: 10-16  - The third allotment of land went to the families of the tribe of Zebulun. The boundary of Zebulun's inheritance started at Sarid. From there it went west, going past Maralah, touching Dabbesheth, and proceeding to the brook east of Jokneam.  In the other direction, the boundary line went east from Sarid to the border of Kisloth-tabor, and from there to Daberath and up to Japhia. Then it continued east to Gath-hepher, Eth-kazin, and Rimmon and turned toward Neah.  The northern boundary of Zebulun passed Hannathon and ended at the valley of Iphtah-el.  The towns in these areas included Kattath, Nahalal, Shimron, Idalah, and Bethlehem -- twelve towns with their surrounding villages.  This was the inheritance of the families of the tribe of Zebulun.

 

Joshua gave allotments of land to all the other tribes. For each one Joshua named the specific towns and cities that defined its boundaries.  This tribe had only 12 towns …the only one I had ever heard of was Bethlehem.  Each town would have to be conquered…completely emptied of all current dwellers...and reestablished as a city of God. Even Joseph was given a special area to live…because God said he was special.

 

As I read the commentary in my Bible…it dawned on me why God had Joshua use such detail in describing the boundaries of each area of land. He carefully penned the northern….southern…eastern and western limits of each tribe. They could not dispute these carefully written out descriptions of each tribes land.

 

Boundaries are important…they define our identity…tell us what is ours…and what we are responsible for. Boundaries give us clear ownership of what we have been given by God. They establish for us areas of responsibility. Each tribe was given a defined part of Canaan….to drive out the people who did not follow God’s laws…they were responsible for its care and rebuilding. Each tribe now knew what its part would be in claiming the Promised Land for God.

 

The boundaries described by Joshua reduced fighting later…over any area that might have been unassigned. It held them accountable for the directions God had given each to drive out the Canaanites… and establish the laws he had given Moses within the cities they would obliterate of people.  The boundaries also fulfilled the wonderful promise God made to Abraham in Genesis 15. They now possessed all the land he told Abraham would belong to the descendants he would give him through Isaac.

 

Father…I thank you for the boundaries you continue to set for me.  Help me father to open my eyes and see them clearly...so I will never wonder what is mine ever again. Go with me as you did these Israelites and help me to conquer anything that is preventing you from fulfilling the will of the father in me.  Teach me to be responsible for what you have given me...to fully take ownership of your word in my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment