Monday, February 11, 2013

Never Too Hard


Joshua 17:14-18 -  The people of Joseph said to Joshua, "Why have you given us only one allotment and one portion for an inheritance? We are a numerous people and the LORD has blessed us abundantly."  "If you are so numerous," Joshua answered, "and if the hill country of Ephraim is too small for you, go up into the forest and clear land for yourselves there in the land of the Perizzites and Rephaites."  The people of Joseph replied, "The hill country is not enough for us, and all the Canaanites who live in the plain have iron chariots, both those in Beth Shan and its settlements and those in the Valley of Jezreel."  But Joshua said to the house of Joseph--to Ephraim and Manasseh--"You are numerous and very powerful. You will have not only one allotment  but the forested hill country as well. Clear it, and its farthest limits will be yours; though the Canaanites have iron chariots and though they are strong, you can drive them out."

 

Joshua had given the tribe of Manasseh a huge area in which to live…but they came to him and whined that it was not large enough. The land was quite adequate for the number of people they needed to support…but they saw the enormous amount of Canaanites that possessed the land…and the iron chariots they rode in…and felt inept to conquer the people there and take over the land for their own use….and so they asked Joshua for more land.

 

Joshua was quick to respond that they were welcome to possess the forested area inhabited by the Perizzites and Rephaites….if they wanted to clear the forests on those hills. And he also reminded them that they had a God who could help them conquer the land they were afraid to possess… where those iron chariots drove strong Cannaanites around. Joshua made sure to tell them that they might just have to work through their issues of fear.

 

I have to admit…many days I see the huge task of teaching as a similar scenario…and I …like these Manasseh leaders see my work as way too difficult for me to accomplish. I forget some days that even though the task seems way out of my expertize …or ability level…God can appear at any time that I ask and help me do anything I think is too hard. Jesus himself told us in Matthew 7:7…. “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”  And the wise James disclosed the source of his wisdom and strength in James 1:5…. “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.”

 

Maybe God’s message to me this morning is that I just don’t believe…in this new creature he is turning me into…in the strength that he promised me if I would ask.  I allow the world to trick me into sitting back and not even trying...just like these Manasseh leaders. My humanness says it is way too hard….and I end up not even asking God to help me conquer it…but just ask him to give me something easier. I need to let those words of Joshua ring in my ears….though they are strong…you can drive them out. Just like it says in Philippians 4:13… “I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me.

 

Father….I woke up so tired...not ready at all to visit with you and listen to you give me strength and wisdom from your word.  Forgive me for wanting to take the easy way out…and go back to sleep…and put off my visit with you.  Thank you for coaxing me gently out of bed…and helping me once again to sit and wait on you to appear and reveal a new way that I can strengthen my walk with you.  Help me to stop complaining about things that are hard…and learn to see all things in the light of your perfect eyes.  Help me to think like Caleb and Joshua…and see you walking beside me …even when I don’t realize you are there.  Help me once and for all to shed the humanness that limits me…and see all the tasks before me as tiny and small….because I know that you will always be right there with me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment