Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Saved Over And Over


Judges 2:1-4 -  The angel of the LORD went up from Gilgal to Bokim with a message for the Israelites. He told them, "I brought you out of Egypt into this land that I swore to give your ancestors, and I said I would never break my covenant with you.  For your part, you were not to make any covenants with the people living in this land; instead, you were to destroy their altars. Why, then, have you disobeyed my command?  Since you have done this, I will no longer drive out the people living in your land. They will be thorns in your sides, and their gods will be a constant temptation to you."  When the angel of the LORD finished speaking, the Israelites wept loudly…

 

The Israelites had forgotten their promise to God…to follow him…and carry out the command to destroy the heathen gods…and drive the people who worshiped them out of the land he gave them.  They said one thing and did quite another…so God sent his messenger to let them know he was no longer bound to care for them. They broke the covenant they had made with him…now they would no longer be victorious against these enemies…God was going to allow them to be oppressed by them…and he would even use the oppression to teach them the value of obedience.

 

The rest of this chapter describes how God would raise several people within the nation…judges…who would speak the words of God…and try to teach them how to follow him once more. And they are successful as long as they are alive...but as each one dies… the voice of God…the will to obey... dies with him…and they once again fall into rebellion and captivity by some pagan nation.

 

Sounds pretty much like our world now…like me sometimes too.  I admit…it is easy to follow God when everything is good in your life…but when the tasks he gives you aren’t the easiest….or the most prestigious….or match the long term plan we mapped out for ourselves those first days we were saved….we usually drift away from his guidance and love…and steep in our selfish nature...to have things our own way.  We too cycle through the same behaviors of these Israelites…we are saved…we weep tears of remorse…we dry our eyes and rise with fire and passion…then the world batters us with its evil. Then we begin to justify the passion right out of our hearts….and actions toward others…and we succumb to Satan’s tricks….until God sends someone to speak his word to us…and we repent …and cry those tears of conviction…and renew that passion for him…for a time.

 

I for one am so glad that he used the mistakes I made to teach me more about him…and is helping me to be stronger. If I look closely at the past…I can see how each time I was disobedient…he sent someone to speak his word…. or allowed something to overcome me for a time…so I would stop and listen…and be reminded of my need for him.  I never called them a judge… and I never really thought about the tragedies in my life as oppression…. but they served the same purpose. They reminded me of the heart I gave to Christ at 14…and spoke the perfect words to convict me of my need to change. I am way too weak to fight satan’s lies and tricks alone…but if I can remember to follow the words of the great writer Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:9…. “But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.”  For  the wonderful grace of God promised me he would always chase after me….and build me up…even what I think is the worst attribute he created in me…that oppression will never last forever…that peace of God is just a stone’s throw away waiting for me to cling to God instead of the world…so he can begin to control my heart…my mind and my soul.

 

Father….I thank you that you created a way to show us our disobedience…and repent… and reignite the passion we felt the day you saved us. I thank you that my mistakes are never permanently cast me away from you…but you use them to teach me how to love you more.  I thank you that you don’t allow us to stay in punishment mode forever…but you save us over and over…and allow us times of peace and blessing…no matter what we have done…or how long we stayed away from you.  Help me to rest in the promise that you will never leave me or forsake me…but always go before me…just as Moses shared so long ago in Deuteronomy. Help me to never be afraid again….and not to fear the times you allow me to experience the next life lessons that will teach me how to be closer to you.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment