Thursday, February 21, 2013

Overcoming the Cycle of Failure


Judges 3:7-11 -  The Israelites did evil in the eyes of the LORD; they forgot the LORD their God and served the Baals and the Asherahs. The anger of the LORD burned against Israel so that he sold them into the hands of Cushan-Rishathaim king of Aram Naharaim, to whom the Israelites were subject for eight years.  But when they cried out to the LORD, he raised up for them a deliverer, Othniel son of Kenaz, Caleb's younger brother, who saved them.  The Spirit of the LORD came upon him, so that he became Israel's judge and went to war. The LORD gave Cushan-Rishathaim king of Aram into the hands of Othniel, who overpowered him.  So the land had peace for forty years, until Othniel son of Kenaz died.

 

The Israelites did not take long to forget the Lord.  They intermarried and allowed their children to be taught two ways to live. The spouses polluted their worship routines and eventually convinced them to leave the Lord they had once loved all together…to completely worship the other  gods.  God was so angry with them that he not only allowed them to be punished…he let them be completely controlled by the people who had swayed them to forget God….for an extended amount of time.

 

They spent eight long years in control of king Eglon…a king known for his harsh tax laws.  We aren’t given any details about the actual cruelty they suffered from…and the oppression might not have even been a physical one.  The oppression…whether financial ….physical or mental… must have been tough on the Israelites though…for they eventually reach their limit and cried out to God for help. God is moved to raise up his first judge…Othniel…and somehow equip him with mental… physical... and spiritual power …never before experienced before. God used this normal man… to channel his supernatural power and lead the people in battle….overcome king Eglon’s rule…and begin to worship God again.

 

It happens one more time in this chapter alone.  The cycle of ….love God completely...let something pollute that love so bad that Satan sneaks in his tricks and lies and idols…God allowing the sin to completely control the nation for a number of years…then finding another common man…Ehud…to speak his truth and recapture the hearts of his people.  This time they were held captive for 10 years...until Ehud tricked king Eglon and killed him face to face…and rallied the people to war once again to claim their freedom.

 

I mulled it over all day…the cycle of these people that I so resemble. I couldn’t write this morning… because Satan invaded my home computer once again …paper and pencil just seemed useless…and it was really a moot point…because I allowed myself to justify sleeping till 6 anyway.  I have been so unfocused…and grumpy…cause I didn’t have my usual talk with God...so I sit in the public library …at the verge of tears …because I realize just how similar my own behavior resembles the crazy behavior of these Israelites.

 

Maybe it is just easier some days not to fight….or maybe my faith just hasn’t bloomed enough to help me fight off satan’s tricks.  But I have to find a way to fix this…so I can stop the crazy ride…and be one of those judges he gave supernatural powers to bring these people back to God. Maybe just knowing that I have to fix it is a step in the right direction…I did not allow satan to keep me from writing…he just delayed my appointment with God for a few hours.  And I need to add how thankful I am that God did not leave those Israelites forever. He heard their cry …when they finally realized they had messed up...and he sent them help…and he hears mine…if I take the time to cry out and ask for his help!

 

Father...I thank you that you will always find a way to remind me that you are there…just waiting for me to ask for help.  Forgive me Lord for being so predictable…and not learning from my mistakes.  Help me to stop the wild ferris wheel of a ride that satan tries to take me on each day….and call to you for help…no matter where I am… even when I have no technology to help me process what I think you are teaching me about your word.  Pour your spiritual power inside me and give me the strength I need to fight off satan’s tricks….and hold fast to your teachings...and be obedient to the task you have given me to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment