Friday, February 8, 2013

Faith...To Believe The Promises of God


Joshua 14:10-12 -  "Now then, just as the LORD promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the desert. So here I am today, eighty-five years old!  I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then.  Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the LORD helping me, I will drive them out just as he said."  

 

Bold…courageous Caleb….he trusted God just like Joshua….and as the land is being divided…he recalls to his friend the promise that the Lord had made to Moses.  He had faithfully followed Moses…and now his friend Joshua for 45 years…knowing that this day would come.  For God had given him the very piece of land he saw as he spied out the land…45 years ago….a promise that had powered his faith…and kept him strong… healthy…bold…courageous…and passionate all these many years.

 

Oh what joy must have overflowed in his heart as he proudly walked the tribe of Judah to the beautiful land he had thought about for 45 years.  He was probably praying the whole time for God to reveal his plans for driving out those giants.  Or maybe he was shouting multiple thank you’s the entire walk. Maybe he recited the laws of Moses…and told the story of his spy days to the children that searched him out…as the hero of the tribe of Judah…. one who had seen the vision of God and not been afraid….despite the odds.

 

 

I want to grow up to be just like Caleb…with a faith that makes me believe at 85…I can do anything. I would like to have that faith today...in this moment…at 54. I want to fully grasp the power of faith in my life…and use it to move the giants that inhabit the land God wants to give me.  I am a bit behind….for his faith was fully in place at 45…and grew stronger every day he followed God’s will…and patiently waited for the promise to manifest in his life.  But I know a God who does miracles of might and power and wonder…so if I can find the strength to believe…God can go with me too….and even make up all the time I am behind.

 

Father…how wonderful you are to be so patient with me…and remind me so many times that I have a source of power and strength that can help me do anything. I thank you for Caleb…and his story of faith…that stretches beyond my human understanding of what we are capable of doing.  Remove the barriers that are blocking the growth of a ‘Caleb-like’ faith…that will power me to do anything…and never be afraid of anything worldly thing again. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment