Monday, August 1, 2016

Dedicate ALL Your Heart...ALL Your Soul...And All Your Mind To God

Deuteronomy 26:16-17-   The Lord your God commands you this day to follow these decrees and laws; carefully observe them with all your heart and with all your soul. You have declared this day that the Lord is your God and that you will walk in obedience to him, that you will keep his decrees, commands and laws—that you will listen to him. 

Moses stops his listing of laws just long enough to put a call to dedicate themselves to following them in their brains. He has watched these people mess up …more than twice… and knows that he will not be there to intercede for them if they don’t get it right this time. He wanted them to learn to listen to god as he had…with all his heart…all his soul…and all his mind.

I will admit that it is not always easy to listen to God.  I have trouble even hearing that still quiet voice sometimes. Even though Even though I am getting to know God in deeper and deeper ways...I know the reason….I still have not mastered the art of loving him with ALL my heart ...ALL my soul…and ALL my mind.

One of my problems is the background noise of the world. It distracts me…disorganizes me…sways my thoughts too much to self. It makes me give up too soon. It reminds me too often that I am only a human.  It limits my field of vision to what I think I can do. It convinces me that the dry spells I go through can’t be helped.

Moses was such a great leader because he let that personal experience at the burning bush transform him to what God saw he could be.  He let God have ALL of who he was ...and allowed him to penetrate every part of his being. The background noise in his time did not have a chance against God’s presence in his life.

I needed the reminder that my best defense against the world is to give ALL of my being to God.  To stop holding back those tiny pieces…or large chunks of what I think my life with him should be…and allow God to take COMPLETE control …so I can become who he made me to be.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I can be only who I allow you to make me. Forgive me for the times that I have let the world speak louder than your voice…and convinced me to keep pieces of who I am from your control.  Help me to learn to surrender all I am to your control…so you can use me the way you created me to be your servant.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment