Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Quick To Listen...Slow To Speak

Deuteronomy 27:9-10 -  Then Moses and the Levitical priests said to all Israel, “Be silent, Israel, and listen! You have now become the people of the Lord your God.   Obey the Lord your God and follow his commands and decrees that I give you today.”

Moses had already told them to listen many times…but this time he added the phrase…be quiet…in front of his command.  Perhaps the crowd had gotten louder than usual that day.  Perhaps he felt the urgency of what would happen if they didn’t listen because he couldn’t go with them. For whatever reason…Moses felt the need to add a bit more drama to his words this time.

David added to Moses wise words to also be still when trying to listen to God. He said in Psalms 46:10… He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;  I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Solomon said to really listen we have to use our heart as well.  His words from Proverbs 3:5 have always been one of my favorites…which by the way have been popping up in my pathway a lot lately.  He said…  Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.”

I’ve never been a great listener.  I’ve never mastered completely the art of when to talk and when to be quiet. My heart has always wanted to do better…but my mouth keeps stealing the show…so to speak. I sure needed the reminder that if I really want to hear God speak clearly to my soul… I need to work on this listening skill some more. 

I admit that the earthly heart we are born with is corrupt and sinful. One quick google search will give you several scriptures to back this up. But even as far back as Ezekiel 36:26 God clearly told the people that all they had to do was allow God to replace that heart of stone with a heart of flesh. 

Jesus modeled for us what we are like when God has done that heart transplant in us. We walk this earth with God’s eyes…ears….hands….and feet.  We no longer search for our own agenda…but pray daily for God to work his will in our lives. Caring for others becomes priority one. Spending time with God... listening through his word…listening to songs of faith…and serving others turns the world’s volume down and God’s volume way up.


Father…thank you for the reminder that listening is an important skill.  Forgive me for not working harder on this vital skill …so I can hear even your whisper as Samuel did. Help me to internalize James 1:19…. be quick to listen, slow to speak…  so that the heart transplant you did on me at 14…can be put to its best use for you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment