Wednesday, August 10, 2016

God's Word...It Is Our Life

Deuteronomy 32:45-47 -  When Moses finished reciting all these words to all Israel, he said to them, “Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law.  They are not just idle words for you—they are your life. By them you will live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess.”

Moses’ last words to the people he loved so much were in the form of a song. They were long…proud…reflective verses…every word straight from his heart.  He poured out the heart that God had built inside of him as he led these rebellious people. Perhaps he thought if he put his last words to music…they would remember them….sing them more often that the require reading of the law every 7 years. He told them to let his teaching “drop like rain”  …so it would saturate their being.

It began with a call to honor God…. to proclaim his name and ascribe him greatness.  Then he asked them to remember all that they had been through.  He wanted them to remember also how jealous God was when they went astray…and recounted that just because God has chosen them to be his people…they would be treated harshly if they rebelled against him again.

I love the last part…verse 47 especially. Those words speak a basic truth of anyone who believes n God…and has asked his son to rule their lives. This law that God had given them….this law that God expanded to 66 books before the cannon was finished….is not just a collection of idle words. It is our life…our manual to how to make God happy…how to give him honor…how to glorify him with all that he made us to be.

I needed the reminder that this book I read each day…has all the wisdom that I need to live a life pleasing to God. I need to set my heart on each and every word I read…they are God’s words…penned by many men over the ages…to help me know how to live my life with the greatest benefit to God….to help me feel purposeful and content in all that he has called me to do. 


Father…thank you for the reminder that your word is the lamp my feet need to walk the way you want me to walk. Forgive me for the many times I have failed to hide its words in my heart so that they can help me when I need them.  Renew my passion…not just to read the words to say I read them…but truly begin to embed them into who I am…so you can use them to help me through the temptations of life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment