Saturday, August 6, 2016

Stand In His Presence... And Recommit Your Life To God

Deuteronomy 29:10-11 -  All of you are standing today in the presence of the Lord your God—your leaders and chief men, your elders and officials, and all the other men of Israel,  together with your children and your wives, and the foreigners living in your camps who chop your wood and carry your water. 

Moses stood with the people he had been asked to lead for 40 years one last time.  He reminded them that God himself was standing there with them…his presence mingled with everyone from leaders to foreigners among them. They had come together to make a commitment to follow God from this day till the end of their days on the earth.

It got me thinking….when was the last time I stood in God’s presence and vowed the same. Certainly when I gave my life to him at 14 …I could feel his presence strong as we started our journey together. Once with a group of youth at their summer camp I felt him stronger than I ever had. Many times during worship services… and just yesterday...as I toured the Billy Graham Museum…his presence took over my emotions most of the time I was there.

But it seems that most of those experiences were one sided exchanges.  God pouring something into me …and yours truely soaking it up as a renewal of God’s strength to help me through whatever I was going through at the time.. I can’t always remember stopping like that sweet leper in Luke 17. He came back to praise God and give thanks. I’ll just bet that time was a time of commitment for him as well.

I sure needed the reminder that my relationship with God…his son Jesus…and the Holy Spirit I cling to so many times for help should be a two way exchange. I should tell them daily that I love them…I am committed to the laws they left for us to live by…and I will gratefully give what is left of my earthly life to serve and do God’s will.


Thank you Lord for the reminder to renew my commitment to love and follow your commands. Forgive me for the times that I take advantage of your care and the love you show me every day by not returning to thank and praise you for what you have done. Help me to be more like that leper…and shout loud and proud all that you have done for me…giving you all the glory and praise for each tiny detail.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment