Monday, September 26, 2016

God Is Our Refuge

Joshua 20:1-4 - Then the Lord said to Joshua:  “Tell the Israelites to designate the cities of refuge, as I instructed you through Moses, so that anyone who kills a person accidentally and unintentionally may flee there and find protection from the avenger of blood. When they flee to one of these cities, they are to stand in the entrance of the city gate and state their case before the elders of that city. Then the elders are to admit the fugitive into their city and provide a place to live among them.

It was an awesome provision of God to provide 6 cities….spread throughout the land so travel to them would be easy …. For those that found themselves accused wrongly…or involved in a situation that caused a death unintentionally to live till the case was decided by the judges. It gave them comfort…peace…protection….and extended a sense of freedom to their mind in a great time of stress.

These cities were longer needed after Jesus fulfilled the law.  He provided a way for all of us to use his love and ultimate peace that passes understanding when we need such a refuge…yet many still search for comfort…peace…protection….and freedom from life’s troubles in every way imaginable. They seek what they need in drugs…. relationships…alcohol … sports….shopping…. parties… gambling…. fighting…  gangs… murder…. living beyond their means by means of credit… using all kinds of things to try and surround themselves with these earthly things to try and imitate what only God can provide in our soul.

There are many verses that speak of God as our refuge… but Psalm 46:1-3 pretty much says it all. It says… “God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; Though its waters roar and foam, Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah.”

I needed a reminder that no matter what happens in life…because I chose to believe and accept Jesus as my savior… my adopted father has all I need…and will ever need to make it through anything. I admit that is it easier sometimes to let the world’s resources trick me into using one of its many temporary fixes to cope…but none of those ever last.  God’s fix is permanent… and grows in understanding the more that you use him.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you are my refuge. Forgive me for the times that I I have let the world trick me into trying other things …when I know that you have the only thing I will ever need to cope with anything that ever happens. Help me to always run to you…and let you be my only refuge in any time of trouble.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment