Thursday, September 15, 2016

Imitate Caleb's Boldness...Ask For God's Promises

Joshua 14:10-12 -  “Now then, just as the Lord promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the wilderness. So here I am today, eighty-five years old!  I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I’m just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then.  Now give me this hill country that the Lord promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the Lord helping me, I will drive them out just as he said.”

Caleb…the only other spy that brought a message of ‘we can do this’ back to Moses when they first visited the land God was promising them…recalled the promise God had given him when all the others had gone against he and Joshua. Everyone that had said no to an immediate quest to take the land Canaan had died in the last 45 years.  Only Caleb and Joshua had entered into the land and fought for the freedom they had enjoyed for the last 7 years.

What a great reminder that we should never be afraid to ask God….even be bold in our requests… to fulfill his promises to us.  There are so many in the Bible…we could ask God to fulfill a different one every day. One of the basics…that has become a great strength for me personally… is his promise from Isaiah 26:3…"You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." Everything else can become a chaotic mess around me…but if I have God’s perfect peace…my spirit will never get caught up in it.


Father...thank you for the promises you allowed to be written into your word. Forgive me for the times that I take any of them for granted. Forgive me also for not claiming them every time I need one of them.  Help me to recall a promise that will give me the exact strength I need for each situation you allow in my life. Then give me the boldness and patience of Caleb to know when to ask.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment