Monday, September 19, 2016

What We Have Is More Than We Deserve

Joshua 16:1-4 - The allotment for Joseph began at the Jordan, east of the springs of Jericho, and went up from there through the desert into the hill country of Bethel.  It went on from Bethel (that is, Luz), crossed over to the territory of the Arkites in Ataroth,  descended westward to the territory of the Japhletites as far as the region of Lower Beth Horon and on to Gezer, ending at the Mediterranean Sea.  So Manasseh and Ephraim, the descendants of Joseph, received their inheritance.

Joshua continued to define the territories for each tribe by clans.  Judah and Joseph…along with his children Ephraim and Manasseh…were allotted the first and best of the lands to the north and the south. These lands were choice areas that would have supported farming or pastures for their livestock. Even though they did not follow through on God’s orders to completely clear the land of Canaanites…God still blessed these tribes enormously.

As I researched the commentaries for some deeper wisdom…Matthew Henry’s thoughts washed deep into my soul. He said… “This chapter reminds us that our situation and provision in this life, as well as our future inheritance, is appointed by the only wise and righteous God and we should be content with it. He knows best. What we have is more than we deserve.”

Truer…more humbling words have not been heard by my ears in a while. I needed the reminder that God gives to us from his grace…not by our worthiness or service to him.  He gives freely…way more than I could ever earn or be worthy of.


Father…thank you for the reminder that your love flows freely to all that accept and believe in your sacrifice on the cross. Forgive me for the times that I take for granted the grace that you have shown me…a sinner.  Help me to be more grateful for the blessings that you send my way each moment of life you granted me. Show me how to pay  your love forward with the same grace you show me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment