Saturday, September 24, 2016

Humility...One Of Our Most Powerful Character Traits

Joshua 19:49-50 -  When they had finished dividing the land into its allotted portions, the Israelites gave Joshua son of Nun an inheritance among them,  as the Lord had commanded. They gave him the town he asked for—Timnath Serah in the hill country of Ephraim. And he built up the town and settled there.

After all the tribes had been given their allotments…Joshua was given a portion from among their lots.  It was not a gift of the tribes...but a command of God to be sure that Joshua also received a portion of the promised land. He waited till all of the lots had been cast to let them know what piece of land he thought would be good for him…and they gave it to him without question.

As I researched the commentaries…trying to dig deeper for meaning and understanding…I read so many thoughts of how this was just one more example of Joshua’s humility and servant mindset.  He knew that God would provide for him and his family…he wanted to make sure that everyone else was taken care of first.

His humility is a great reminder to me of how important it is to build and use daily this character trait that the word sometimes perceives as a weakness. There is nothing weak about choosing to be last. In fact…God builds power through any form of humility…especially if it is intentional. Joshua Becker…good name huh….wrote in his article “The Hidden Power Of Humility”… “Humility is the act of being modest, reverential, even politely submissive. It is the opposite of aggression, arrogance, pride, and vanity. And on the surface, it appears to empty its holder of all power. But on the contrary, it grants enormous power to its owner. (his boldface...not mine) Humility offers its owner complete freedom from the desire to impress, be right, or get ahead. Frustrations and losses have less impact on a humble ego and a humble person confidently receives opportunity to grow, improve, and reject society‘s labels. A humble life results in contentment, patience, forgiveness, and compassion.”

The whole world needs a dose of this great power…I’m thinking it could just be the answer to world peace.  I sure needed the reminder to strive to let humility override many of the selfish decisions I make each day. The more selfless I become the more God can use me. Proverbs 11:2 says …When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.”  James 4:10 says “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.” And let’s not forget 2 Chronicles 7:14…which says… “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

Father…thank you for the reminder that you consider humility one of the best character traits I can have. Forgive for the times that I have let the world rob me of the many chances you have provided for me to grow in this mindset. Help me to recognize these moments...and ask you to hold my hand as you teach me your pure form of humbleness.  Then help me to listen to your prodding’s of when to use it to bring more glory to you.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment