Friday, September 9, 2016

Make A List Of Victories

Joshua 12:1, 7, and 24   -Now these are the kings of the land whom the people of Israel defeated and took possession of their land beyond the Jordan toward the sunrise, from the Valley of the Arnon to Mount Hermon, with all the Arabah eastward:
….And these are the kings of the land whom Joshua and the people of Israel defeated on the west side of the Jordan, from Baal-gad in the Valley of Lebanon to Mount Halak, that rises toward Seir (and Joshua gave their land to the tribes of Israel as a possession according to their allotments,
…the king of Tirzah, one: in all, thirty-one kings.

Joshua took the time to list the name of each king as the peace God granted was fresh and new. They had spent what most commentators think was around 7 years defeating these 31 kings.  My eyes got weary trying to read the names of all those kings…each one listed with the city or territory he ruled before the Israelites took it over.

I did not readily see a lesson in what seemed to be a simple listing of names…so I started researching some different commentaries to see what insight they could add. I stumbled on this great David Guzik point… “What seems a simple list to us must have been a reminder to Joshua of all God had done to clear this land for them.”  Got me thinking about sitting down and making my own list…so I would have it the next time I started feeling sorry for myself.

What a great reminder to take some time in our seasons of happiness and joy to make a list of all the victories he has provided in our lifetime. I’m even thinking of adding all the pain he has brought me through as well. I can’t think of any better way to have a tangible comprehensive list of all God has done to build our faith.

I needed the reminder as usual that God has seen me through every single moment.  He never left my side…sometimes he held my hand the whole time. He even let me sit in his lap a couple of the worst times and let me cry till my tears were spent. I may never fully understand why he let the things he did happen. I may not have been deserving of any of the bad…and I know that I will never be worthy of any of the good. But this one thing I know…God has a plan…for my good.  It is a plan to someday prosper me…and not meant to harm me.  It is a plan that gives me hope for my future.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to reflect on the many things you have done to build me into the person you want me to be.  Forgive me for the times that I make that list about the times when life was unkind ..letting my mind focus too much on the past. Help me to keep my list of victories close by…so when I begin to let the world get me down I can let the list of all you have done to strengthen me build me even stronger.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment