Friday, April 29, 2016

Are You Reflecting God's Light and Love To Others...ALL The Time?

Numbers 8:1-2 -  The Lord said to Moses,  “Speak to Aaron and say to him, ‘When you set up the lamps, see that all seven light up the area in front of the lampstand.’”

It’s a small bit of this chapter about consecrating and setting the Levites apart for God’s service. The lamps that shed light on the inner part of the tabernacles were set upon a beautiful and ornate base. The lamps themselves could be positioned any way the priests wanted…but God told them to make sure they were turned so that the light of each one illuminated the front of the lamp…so that it would light up the inner curtain leading to God’s holy presence among them.

I have to admit…I almost passed this important piece of scripture right by…reading it quickly and not really letting its meaning sink in …till I read David Guzik’s commentary this morning.  Two of his wisdom filled statements immediately brought conviction to my heart. He said… “The lampstand was described and made in Exodus 25:31-40; but the lampstand by itself could give no light. It had to have lamps placed upon it that gave light. All the lampstand could do was make the light more visible.’  Then he added… “Revelation 1:20 makes lampstands a picture of the church; the church itself does not light the world, but it does provide a platform for Jesus light to be seen.”

Sometimes when I get home …it is dark and I have to use my flashlight ap to see the way to my mailbox.  I can’t just turn it on…I have to turn its light toward the mailbox to see where I need to walk. Its light is useless pointed any other direction. Light means nothing if it is not shed where we can use is to see.  Its example is a personal example of how important it is for me to be a human lamp of God’s great light to the world. And I am not just to be a lamp…I need to constantly adjust it so that God’s light shines on the specific ones God needs me to share his love with.

Jesus reminded his disciples in John 8:12… “Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  Then in Matthew 5:14-16 he told them…  “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”

I needed the reminder to keep the light God placed in my heart when he saved me fanned bright …the most dominate part of who he made me to be. If I concentrate more on keeping his light bright…then I can make sure that everything I do sheds his light on those he places around me…glorifying God with all that I do and say.


Thank you father for the reminder that keeping the light of your love shinning to others is a very important part of what you commissioned me to do as your child.  Forgive me for the times I let sadness…busy schedules….and the many demands of earthly living dim the light you gave me to show your love to others.  Help me to keep my light turned completely toward you…so you can reflect all the love you have to everyone around me..ALL the time. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment