Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Is Your Offering To God From The heart?

Numbers 7:2-3 - Then the leaders of Israel, the heads of families who were the tribal leaders in charge of those who were counted, made offerings. They brought as their gifts before the Lord six covered carts and twelve oxen—an ox from each leader and a cart from every two. These they presented before the tabernacle.

Moses had just anointed the Tabernacle and everything in it for service to God when the leaders of each tribe showed up with 6 carts full of offerings to help dedicate it properly to the Lord. Every cart contained exactly the same thing. On top of the carts 12 bulls were given…one for each of the tribes.

It is curious to me that all the offerings matched …exactly. Perhaps they had all met…and decided before they went to each prepare the same thing. They spared no expense...including golden bowls full of incense ….silver bowls…silver platters…and many different animals.

There was so much to offer to God that each leader took one of the next seven days to present it to God. Each cart was divided and given to a leader of the tribes that had been assigned to care for the tabernacle. It probably took most of a day to sacrifice all those animals on the new altar...and then divide the roasted meat to the tabernacle workers that would receive the blessing from it.

I can’t help but think that my offerings to God pale in comparison to these leaders. I write my tithe check at the end of each month…careful to give my 10%...from the gross amount of each of my income sources. I suppose I could count the time I spend in several ministries each week.  I sure don’t give what I used to…simply because I make much less as a retired individual. But I have to ask myself the question….are my offerings to God made from mere routine...or do I really  have a passion to offer up my full self and all that God has given me as income as a freewill offering to him?
                               
Father…thank you for the reminder that my offerings to you should be passionate and full of eagerness to help others. Forgive me for the times that I have let mere calculation of income  become my measure of given.  Help me to learn to give freely…willingly…and with my whole heart…so you can use my gifts of love to help others learn about you.  Amen.passion to offer up my full self and all that God has given me as income as a freewill offering to him?
                

No comments:

Post a Comment